Annoying Cold

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Something's going around as I've been sick with a cold, headache, body aches, etc. Not Covid either as I have tested three times all being negative. I guess things could be worse.

Two weeks ago as I was driving to work on that Monday morning, I started coughing real bad. I was going from my girlfriends house to work. I pulled over and coughed for a few minutes before deciding to go straight home and miss work that day. I ended up taking a covid test that afternoon and it was negative. I was able to go to work Tuesday with no problems. I do not know what hit me but it was over in a day. It was bad that Monday morning but not as bad as the time I had pneumonia a few years ago. The pneumonia tried to kill me.

I was covid positive earlier in April but test negative now. Both Mrs Ldubs and I have the same nagging cold/congestion you describe. Mrs Ldubs is OK now. I'm still having congestion/coughing after two weeks. But, I normally get hit had with colds, so I'm not surprised it is still with me. I think we caught it from our grandson and as expected, it has spread through his family too. Seems a lot of the folks we know are talking with raspy voices.

We didn't see much of a flu season. I wonder if there is any connection to our reduced use of masks and the spread of these cold symptoms. Hope it burns itself out soon.

:DUBS? Could it be Spring pollen?

I've always had sinus problems a couple times a year in Chicago. Up in Wisconsin, it comes and goes. I haven't had it get to my chest since I discover really inexpensive antihistamines, mostly generic. I've gotten the same dosage from both Equate brand and MAJOR brand...about $3 for 100 4mg tabs.
They don't make me dopey or interact with other meds. I usually take one and forget about it until I feel the sinus drainage later in the day; one more and I'm good to go.

Might be worth a try. I hate racking coughs.

I just had this cold last week. Crazy strong cold probably because it's mixing with allergies right now but I was blowing my nose every 5 minutes for a couple of days, then got clogged up with cement and coughing up a lung for a couple of days. I stayed home for at least 9 days to make sure I didn't pass anything along. Then this weekend I started talking to other people outside and it seems like everyone has had it in their house. All we hear about is Covid this and Covid that, but no mention of one of the strongest colds in a long time! So much for the CDC helping to protect us. :roll: I have jury duty in a week and half and I just hope I'm still not coughing at that point if I'm sitting in a courtroom.

Kismet said:
:DUBS? Could it be Spring pollen?

I've always had sinus problems a couple times a year in Chicago. Up in Wisconsin, it comes and goes. I haven't had it get to my chest since I discover really inexpensive antihistamines, mostly generic. I've gotten the same dosage from both Equate brand and MAJOR brand...about $3 for 100 4mg tabs.
They don't make me dopey or interact with other meds. I usually take one and forget about it until I feel the sinus drainage later in the day; one more and I'm good to go.

Might be worth a try. I hate racking coughs.

Maybe that is it -- pollen allergies. I've not had a problem before but who knows. Thanks for the tips on the meds. I was using some Mucinex multi symptom stuff. Worked so so.

JL8Jeff said:
I just had this cold last week. Crazy strong cold probably because it's mixing with allergies right now but I was blowing my nose every 5 minutes for a couple of days, then got clogged up with cement and coughing up a lung for a couple of days. I stayed home for at least 9 days to make sure I didn't pass anything along. Then this weekend I started talking to other people outside and it seems like everyone has had it in their house. All we hear about is Covid this and Covid that, but no mention of one of the strongest colds in a long time! So much for the CDC helping to protect us. :roll: I have jury duty in a week and half and I just hope I'm still not coughing at that point if I'm sitting in a courtroom.

They are calling it the "super cold" in Australia. Sounds the same as all of us are describing.

Good luck with the jury duty.

LDUBS?

This is the active ingredient in those generic brands:

Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg

Hope it helps. Cheap enough to try.

I've tried several severe cold, cold max and allergy over the counter stuff and they do nothing for me. The Mucinex DM helps break it up more than anything else.

Kismet said:
LDUBS?

This is the active ingredient in those generic brands:

Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg

Hope it helps. Cheap enough to try.

I'm doing better this morning but still some residual coughing. I want to grab some of the stuff you mention for future use if nothing else. Mrs Ldubs wants to go to Costco today. Perfect timing.

Like JL8Jeff says, the stuff I was using wasn't doing much.

Thanks for the tip!

Little different symptoms.... I've had a mild stomach ache, mild, uneasy sort of nausea and diarrhea for several weeks now and can't seem to get over it. Kind of an achy, grumbly feeling all over, too. Not debilitating - I hiked 2.1 miles with the dog over rough ground yesterday, but sure didn't feel like doing it. I'll be making an app't with Dr. today for tests. I've had Covid shot and booster and symptoms aren't right, but I've had quite a few Tick bites over the past month or so and one of them might have transmitted something.

Migawd, Ticks were insane here in April. They were everywhere. Come in from a hike and pick off 1/2 dozen. Seems to have eased up a little in the past week or so.

Off topic but: get Sawyers permethrin and spray your clothing with it anywhere a tick would gain access to your skin. Ever since I started doing that for turkey hunting and archery hunting I have never had a tick on me.

lots of folks have destroyed their imune systems because they complied with the great reset and wore the dust masks. they get sick. take more vitamin D and mingle with those who did not wear a mask, they have much better immune systems now and you too can enjoy herd immunity!

Where it rains it pours. I was vacuuming underneath my work bench in the garage with the shop vac and i pulled my back so bad, i couldn’t stand up straight. I figured a few Motrin, heat pack, and lying on the floor would help. I woke up unable to move my legs this morning. A trip to the hospital and they put me on a pain patch, more Motrin and a muscle relaxant (flexeril). I hate medications.

Needless to say at this point I can at least sit upright.

Jim said:
Where it rains it pours. I was vacuuming underneath my work bench in the garage with the shop vac and i pulled my back so bad, i couldn’t stand up straight. I figured a few Motrin, heat pack, and lying on the floor would help. I woke up unable to move my legs this morning. A trip to the hospital and they put me on a pain patch, more Motrin and a muscle relaxant (flexeril). I hate medications.

Needless to say at this point I can at least sit upright.

Dunno, Jim, but as I recall you either ran or participated in THREE fishing derbys and then threw your back out vacuuming.

Maybe your body is telling you something. You are an outdoorsman who should be fishing; staff should clean up the shop.

Just sayin'

I sit here and complain about my golf game going downhill the last couple of years, then I think again about having 2 sprained wrists in the last 3 years, a groin pull (for the 2nd time) last year, a hyperextended thumb last year and my sore back (for the last 35 years) and realize I'm happy I'm able to play golf, ride the bike, mow the lawn, go out in the boat. I figure it's because I was born on Friday the 13th (last week was my 56th birthday) so it can't really get any worse! :lol:

JL8Jeff said:
I sit here and complain about my golf game going downhill the last couple of years, then I think again about having 2 sprained wrists in the last 3 years, a groin pull (for the 2nd time) last year, a hyperextended thumb last year and my sore back (for the last 35 years) and realize I'm happy I'm able to play golf, ride the bike, mow the lawn, go out in the boat. I figure it's because I was born on Friday the 13th (last week was my 56th birthday) so it can't really get any worse! :lol:

oh, yes it can! but you will adapt, overcome, and make do. the bike will get harder to peddle, the mower harder to steer, and the boat will become so wobbly that you go for a swim more often.
but! there is a silver lining! ...............................................................

Wow, I think I got this cold again. I thought it was allergies when I was mowing the lawn Tuesday but last night it felt like the same cold. I'm not looking forward to it when it hits 90 degrees Monday! :cry:

Latest posts