Yamaha 9.9 4 Stroke issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
Any ideas as to why above outboard type would just shut off? Then it won’t turn over, if it were a car, it probably make that clicking sound, like there’s a problem with the starter. If I give a few minutes, it will turn over and start again.
Thanks

The very first thing I would do is ascertain that it wasn’t overheating. If that isn’t the case I would check all the battery connections both + and -. If not that then run a load test on the battery.

nccatfisher said:
The very first thing I would do is ascertain that it wasn’t overheating. If that isn’t the case I would check all the battery connections both + and -. If not that then run a load test on the battery.

The same thing happened last year a couple of times. I have new batteries this year, don’t think it’s electrical.

I’m probably due for a new water pump/impeller, I actually have a new one in the boat to do a replace it.

I ran it all through the fall and winter, I’m in the SC Upstate area, with no problem.

I’ll have to hit the youtubes for a water pump installation tutorial. The last time I did it, didn’t know I had to put it in reverse and I needed my neighbor to help out.

Will keep you updated!

Thanks

If you think you need an impeller, then you need an impeller.. after that, check for good water flow ( in a test tank, not muffs) and use a heat gun to check for overheating. Check the operation of the thermostat as it's possibly stuck closed.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

the hammer said:
nccatfisher said:

The same thing happened last year a couple of times. I have new batteries this year, don’t think it’s electrical.

I’m probably due for a new water pump/impeller, I actually have a new one in the boat to do a replace it.

I ran it all through the fall and winter, I’m in the SC Upstate area, with no problem.

I’ll have to hit the youtubes for a water pump installation tutorial. The last time I did it, didn’t know I had to put it in reverse and I needed my neighbor to help out.

Will keep you updated!

Thanks
I am not trying to be condescending here but if it is overheating you aren't doing yourself any favors by keep doing that. Getting it hot enough that it is seizing multiple times is finally going to take it's toll on that engine.

Let me ask you a basic question.
When the engine does this is the symptom more like someone shut the key off. Instant shut down?
Or.......is the shut down more like "putting a brake" on the flywheel?
Answer the best you can as it makes a big difference in the way this thread is going right now.

Pappy said:
Let me ask you a basic question.
When the engine does this is the symptom more like someone shut the key off. Instant shut down?
Or.......is the shut down more like "putting a brake" on the flywheel?
Answer the best you can as it makes a big difference in the way this thread is going right now.

Like someone shut the key off.

nccatfisher said:
the hammer said:
nccatfisher said:

Will keep you updated!

Thanks
I am not trying to be condescending here but if it is overheating you aren't doing yourself any favors by keep doing that. Getting it hot enough that it is seizing multiple times is finally going to take it's toll on that engine.

For what it’s worth …

1. There is always good pee stream.

2. It doesn’t shut off at the beginning of the day. It happens toward the end of the day. I do my longest run of about 20 minutes, first thing. Then it’s 5 minutes to the next stop. Maybe 5-10 minutes to the next stop. Then maybe 10 minutes back to the ramp.

3. It doesn’t happen every trip, it’s happen a maybe 4 or 5 times over 40 or 50 trips.

4. I always check water intake and outflow for clogs or debris.

5. I don’t run in shallow water, the lake is pretty clean.

6. I don’t drive it like I stole it.

Unfortunately, my local Yammy service dept sees $$$ when you open your mouth.

OK that rules out the way I/we were headed. If it is was visually pumping water I didn't catch that.

Sounds like you have an electrical component breaking down under heat and then coming back once it cools down.

nccatfisher said:
OK that rules out the way I/we were headed. If it is was visually pumping water I didn't catch that.

Sounds like you have an electrical component breaking down under heat and then coming back once it cools down.

I’ll probably call Yammy and get the thermostat # and do the water pump the same day.

maybe it is a circuit breaker. hd motorcycles had this same issue. they had mounted the main circuit breaker behind the rear ehaust. it would be ok in rural riding, but the additional heat of city traffic would shut it down and you had to wait quite some time for it to cool and reset.
just a WAG as i do not khow how your ignition is wired.
maybe just a lanyard swith!

the hammer said:
Do outboards have a diagnostic chips similar to cars?

Only on EFI models, some carb motors have a very basic alarm code. Even on EFI engines the software and stuff is proprietary, most have some kind of provision that will allow you to read codes (like Mercury Vesselview/Smartcraft) but that's all. If your motor is equipped with anything like that I'm sure it would be explained in the operator's manual.

First I would make sure it isn't overheating. Although it sounds like your issues may be electrical in nature.

Part of my problem is I’m not what you would call a motivated owner. The outboard is a 2012, that I got used in 2016 and it has about 140 hours on it, ball park. I’m going back and forth about getting a smaller boat with a tiller. If it crapped out, I get something new. I don’t have money to burn but I’m not going to stress out about it.

UPDATE!!!

DIDN’T LOSE POWER BUT THERE WAS SPUTTERING!
Never noticed that before …

Just got off the phone with a local Yammy mechanic. It ain’t gonna be easy and it ain’t gonna be cheap! Will have to run outboard until issue occurs THEN do it again to dx.
His recommendation would be start with kill switch related, ignition connections first and then down the line. A myriad of potential issues.

Latest posts