Will this work?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN Fisher

Reaction score
I got a line on a 20HP Chrysler motor - thing is, my F-9 is a short transom (15") and this is a mid-shaft motor (17")

Will that work or is even that extra 2" a bit much?

Need answer quick...he's not gonna hold it long.

Scratch it - just got an e-mail from the seller...someone who came over to look at it today took it home with them.

Back to the search.

I will tell you this. There is no mid length motor. short shaft and long shaft.
Manufacturers do not make a short shaft at exactly 15" nor a long shaft at exactly 20". Also, different engine manufacturers will vary as well.
Boat manufacturers are the same. Not all short transoms measure the same nor will long transoms. Transom angles may vary as well.

My boats are set-up where the cav plate is a little lower than the bottom of the boat. You are just giving up a little top-end speed. Sometimes even with, is not the ideal position for hard turns, or hole shot. On small outboards, like these, it is also easy to raise them about an 1" with just a "transom shim", as long as the engine clamps still have good "bite".

FuzzyGrub said:
My boats are set-up where the cav plate is a little lower than the bottom of the boat. You are just giving up a little top-end speed. Sometimes even with, is not the ideal position for hard turns, or hole shot. On small outboards, like these, it is also easy to raise them about an 1" with just a "transom shim", as long as the engine clamps still have good "bite".

Yeah, I wish this would have been standardized somewhere along the line.

I have a 1.5” shim on my transom and am at the limit of the clamp screws still being on solid transom.

I still need another inch so I’m building a jack plate to raise and add some setback.

Latest posts