Attaching new outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting a new outboard BUT I’m unsure if the attaching screw pattern between a 2012 and 2022 Yamaha 9.9 remote steering. Do I need to use screws through the transom if the pattern does not match well?
Thanks

I would seriously suggest it - hanging an engine off of 'screws' rather than through-bolting it can lead to a big headache.

It's a 9.9!!! You don't need to screw it or bolt it unless your worried about it getting stolen. Although a bar style lock should be enough.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

One option for dealing with misaligned mounting holes is to make a homemade jackplate. With a home made one you can make it attach to the transom using existing holes and then drill and mount on the motor side with whichever hole pattern is necessary. Set back is typically always a good thing and if its a remote motor it doesnt affect operation in any way like it does with a tiller (too much setback can cause issues if tiller length isnt long enough).

FWIW: All my small outboards 40HP and less, just use the clamps. Years of habit checking to make sure they are tight. Some had safety cable/chain, but never had one come loose.

the hammer said:
New outboard probably not an option with supply chain issues.

After my conversation with the Yammy dealer yesterday, I think it’s pretty much a moot point now.

FuzzyGrub said:
FWIW: All my small outboards 40HP and less, just use the clamps. Years of habit checking to make sure they are tight. Some had safety cable/chain, but never had one come loose.

Ya, my old runabout had a clamp-on 40hp. Six years of running around, sometimes at WOT and it never slipped.

Latest posts