Transducer Installation...A Few Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Purchased a new Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2 with 3 in 1 Active Imaging transducer. It's last year's model, but the price was great.

In previous Lowrance model's (different model head units and transducers), I recall the installation of the transducer recommending a certain distance from prop edge, mount to the right side of transom (to avoid prop wash on right turning props), and avoiding hull strakes.

This current installation instructions.... https://www.lowrance.com/en-sg/help--support/?guideId=535-060

do not refer to any of the above and simply state, "Chose transducer location."

My transom pics are attached.

Centerline to right edge of transom is 27"
Hull strake is at 14.5"

Prop edge is at just right of centerline blue tape.
Strake is at outer blue tape (14.5")

NOTE: I plan on using an approx 4"x5" piece pf 3/4'-1" starboard material and epoxying to transom and then mount transducer to this.
I used Marine-Tex RM321K FlexSet on a previous alum hull and it has worked great for HDPE and aluminum bonding.

QUESTIONS:

Why would install instructions change over the last few years?
Why no mention of which side of transom to install?
Why no mention of strakes, distance from prop edge, etc.?

Anyone install one of these 3 in 1 Active Imaging transducers on a same/similar boat hull?

Preferred place to mount give dimensions of my hull?

Thanks!

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 174
There's actually 3 hull strakes....one at center line, one to starboard, and one to port. Each side 13" from center.

If I mount between strakes to starboard (6.5" to starboard from center), I would be within the prop radius. Is that a problem?
Is in between strakes better than closer to one strake to avoid prop radius?

Not sure which would cause more water disturbance....strake or prop wash?

Thanks

This is just me, but I prefer it to be on the far left edge of the transom. The water is cleaner, the motor isn't in the way of your side imaging, and the transducer is in the best location for sharpshooting (watching your bait on the graph).

Most manuals that I've read recommend placing it as close to center as possible. I have done it that way a few times and generally wasn't that happy with it, the side imaging was usually obscured in some way by the outboard, or just didn't read that clearly because of turbulent water.

Kind of a rock and a hard spot I think. To me the ideal would be to the right of the strake (longer blue tape). Can't do that because the bunk will be in the way. I would go closer to the strake but not behind it. How far away to keep a smooth flow of water, I don't know. Maybe 3" from the strake??? Recognize that is a wild a$$ed guess on my part.

Congrats on the new FF. I have a Humminbird, but have heard good things about the Elite Ti2's.

Mrgiggles: as has been said, seems like all instructions say to mount transducer to the right of the prop. What benefit have you seen by going way to the left ?? I like to get as far from the prop as I can, but realize the strakes cause turbulence, too. How far to stay away from the strakes ??

My problem is spray. I have the big 3 in 1 transducer for my Lowrance and I mounted it on a block about 3" inboard of the st'b'd strake, angled very slightly down and the leading edge of it about ½" below the bottom.

When running at speed, it throws a huge, ragged roostertail of spray that comes up over the transom and floods the back of the boat. I had to make a cover of scrap plastic sheet to deflect it, but it doesn't seem right.

gogittum said:
Mrgiggles: as has been said, seems like all instructions say to mount transducer to the right of the prop. What benefit have you seen by going way to the left ?? I like to get as far from the prop as I can, but realize the strakes cause turbulence, too. How far to stay away from the strakes ??

My problem is spray. I have the big 3 in 1 transducer for my Lowrance and I mounted it on a block about 3" inboard of the st'b'd strake, angled very slightly down and the leading edge of it about ½" below the bottom.

When running at speed, it throws a huge, ragged roostertail of spray that comes up over the transom and floods the back of the boat. I had to make a cover of scrap plastic sheet to deflect it, but it doesn't seem right.

Mostly that it will actually read on plane somewhat reliably, and the side imaging is unobscured. Side imaging is a very wide cone, anything that's immediately beside the transducer is often in the way. So unless you have a jack plate with quite a bit of set back, the outboard will be in the way if the transducer is close to it.

I like it on the far left in a tiller boat, that's the best place to make it easy to drop your bait down right next to it, if you ever like to fish vertical and watch your bait on the screen.

As for spray I have had the same problems. I have plugged one with a blob of silicone and wrapped another with black tape. Raising it may help some too.

As mentioned, most of what I have read say mount to right of outboard....to stay out of prop wash. A right turning prop will throw wash up on the port side. I have no experience with a left side transom mounted transducer, as all installation instructions have said to mount to right of outboard (for right-clockwise turning props).

With the bunk board and strake to deal with, I have very limited options as far as side to side locations. It appears I may have mount just left of starboard strake (long piece of blue tape).

As far as rooster tails when at higher speeds, I suppose I can adjust so the bottom of transducer is flush with bottom of hull, or 1/4" higher, to avoid as much spray as possible. I will lose high speed reading, but that is not important to me. I'm usually looking for fish at slower speeds.

FWIW: I have one boat that has transducer on port side, as it came that way. It is only 2D and on a deep V hull. It is not a fishing boat, so mainly use the digital depth, speed, and temp. There is some screen noise at planing and high speed. Low speed is fine.

As mentioned, SI is some what impacted (darker) shooting through the motor gap. Trimming out can help.

I use king starboard to have flexibility in mounting and changing location. Maybe use a longer piece to cover both of your preferred locations.

Tin Man said:
As mentioned, most of what I have read say mount to right of outboard....to stay out of prop wash. A right turning prop will throw wash up on the port side. I have no experience with a left side transom mounted transducer, as all installation instructions have said to mount to right of outboard (for right-clockwise turning props).

With the bunk board and strake to deal with, I have very limited options as far as side to side locations. It appears I may have mount just left of starboard strake (long piece of blue tape).

As far as rooster tails when at higher speeds, I suppose I can adjust so the bottom of transducer is flush with bottom of hull, or 1/4" higher, to avoid as much spray as possible. I will lose high speed reading, but that is not important to me. I'm usually looking for fish at slower speeds.

I've got my bunk boards mounted inboard of the strakes and tight against them. The inside edge of the bunk board is just about where I need/want to mount my transducer. To get around that, I moved the board so that it's just about flush with the edge of the transom - sits about 1/2" exposed. The transducer sits farther back than that, so no worries about crunching it when loading the boat.

I have mine mounted on a wood block epoxied to the transom, too, and will try raising it to cut down on the spray. I like to watch for structure as I cruise at speed, so want a clear reading at all times.

That rooster tail or spray that is annoying everyone might have a simple fix. There is typically a gap between the mounting bracket and the transducer. That causes the rooster tail. Fill that gap. Humminbird makes a rubber plug for their transducer brackets. Don't know about other brands. Maybe wrap it with elect tape first just to test the concept. If that works, fill the gap with caulking.

LDUBS said:
That rooster tail or spray that is annoying everyone might have a simple fix. There is typically a gap between the mounting bracket and the transducer. That causes the rooster tail. Fill that gap. Humminbird makes a rubber plug for their transducer brackets. Don't know about other brands. Maybe wrap it with elect tape first just to test the concept. If that works, fill the gap with caulking.

I remember back when I had a HB 797 and they sent out those plugs. I had already did the elec tape fix.

I need working 2D at all speeds, sometimes hard to do with these large multi element transducers.

FuzzyGrub said:
LDUBS said:

I remember back when I had a HB 797 and they sent out those plugs. I had already did the elec tape fix.

I need working 2D at all speeds, sometimes hard to do with these large multi element transducers.

I lose the sonar return at what I think are pretty low speeds. Truth be told, I'm not exactly sure what the MPH is when that happens. Now I'm curious. Next time out I will try to remember to watch this.

I decided on a right of prop location, just left of hull strake. I used a sacrificial piece of HDPE where I can mount the transducer.
It is a black colored piece of King Starboard, approx. 4"x5". (I epoxied two 1/2" sections to get 1" thick). I used Flex Set epoxy by Marine Tex.

Attachments

• IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 86
Got to install 2 this week - sorry about quality pics, - I did not see anything regarding prop wash. The transducer and sending unit need to be 12 inches apart or more. Not sure the order that is being loaded, best I can do right now.
20220622_220129.jpg
20220622_220053.jpg
20220622_220508.jpg

Thanks Beagle!

Looks like the same instructions that came with my unit. I have one 3 in 1 transducer so the 12" apart does not apply.
I followed all other steps as best as I could, as you can see from my comment and pics.

Latest posts