Louisiana Crawfish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I did something today. :LOL2:

I ordered a big sack (40 lbs) of fresh Louisiana crawfish for a party we are having on Saturday. They will ship them overnight on Thursday, and I will put them in a cooler on ice (with the drain plug open). We are going to do the whole corn, potatoes, and spice boil. I got 25 bibs and a dozen party beads. :lol:

Can you picture two dozen northern folk (Mostly Bostonians and surrounding areas) with bibs trying to eat crawfish? :LOL2:

this thread sux wihtout pics! BTW, when cooking crawfish, u figure 5-7 lbs per person. u gonna have to buy more bugs if you gonna feed 25 people.

poorthang said:
curious, crawfish season is over. how much per pound did you pay?
It was $300 total for 40 lbs select size. 12-17 per pound. I see this as a taste test around a table.

The real food will be brisket, pork butt, pork belly burnt ends and sides.

Jim said:
poorthang said:
curious, crawfish season is over. how much per pound did you pay?
It was $300 total for 40 lbs select size. 12-17 per pound. I see this as a taste test around a table.

The real food will be brisket, pork butt, pork belly burnt ends and sides.

wow! thems granpas. thats when we call season over, when the heads are bigger than the tails. you paying more for the parts you throw away, and getting less meat. next year, get em about 3-4 weeks after mardi gras. thats usually best eatin and best price. i dont pay more than $50 for 30 lb sack. thats high price. of course you have to pay more for shipping refridgerarted.

man that pork belly sounds good! you know what they say about threads without pics?

LDUBS said:
What recipe are you using for the crawdad seasoning? We love the cajun crab and shrimp shack food. But we haven't tried to duplicate it at home.
They’re sending a package of spices, i will let you know what it is tomorrow when it gets here.

Interesting to say the least. Lots of fun though!

749a0417a71aaa751ceb59472f808f3f.jpg

799855e0523af30105b0653686dabb85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trivia.
if the tail doesnt curl after cooking, do not eat it!
pile the skins and heads out back, wait a few days and they will burn when dry.

poorthang said:
trivia.
if the tail doesnt curl after cooking, do not eat it!
pile the skins and heads out back, wait a few days and they will burn when dry.

Thanks for the tips! We were looking at them and wondering, how can we tell if they're dead or not? :LOL2:

Slowly after taking them out of their sacks and rinsing them, they came back to life (moving). But you cant check each one right? so now we know for next time if we do this again.

when you purge them, the salt will make em flop around. the warm water makes em act alive too. if they are suspect, i always put "dead " ones on edge of tub and come back in about 30 minutes. if they aint there anymore, they aint dead! lol. you did purge them 3 times , right?

when you purge them, the salt will make em flop around. the warm water makes em act alive too. if they are suspect, i always put "dead " ones on edge of tub and come back in about 30 minutes. if they aint there anymore, they aint dead! lol. you did purge them 3 times , right?