Evinrude/Johnson fuel connector too small for engine side?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAABologist

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Evinrude 8hp, model number E8RCEC.

I thought all the evinrude/johnson fuel line connectors to the motor were standard. I picked one up at the store, but the hole is too small to fit on the barb on the engine.

The connector on the motor is original. It has never been removed or replaced- the factory zip ties are in place.

The size of the metal ball and o-ring are the same, the only issue is the hole of the connector is too small for the barb on the motor.

The barb on the motor appears to be exactly 1/4" diameter as is the hole on the original connector I am trying to replace.

Does anyone know what's going on with the size of the Evinrude connectors?

Thanks much,

You might have a Yamaha connector, they look very similar.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

It was in original package that said Johnson/Evinrude, so i don't understand what's going on unless there was a different version of the connector prior to 1990. I just want to make sure before I go pick up another one, to avoid the same issue.
Thanks,

I have found using after market fuel connectors is a crap shoot as to whether they are gonna fit or they leak !!! I usually try to find used connectors and rebuild them.

SAABologist said:
It was in original package that said Johnson/Evinrude, so i don't understand what's going on unless there was a different version of the connector prior to 1990. I just want to make sure before I go pick up another one, to avoid the same issue.
Thanks,

Just because the package says it’s correct does not mean it is.

Someone could have inadvertently swapped with another or done that purposely for nefarious reasons.

And yes, it sounds like you have a yo mama ha connector, did that to myself at the beginning of this season via mixing up my hoses.

GYPSY400 said:
You might have a Yamaha connector, they look very similar.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

yes! this is what it was. I guess my motor is old enough that the connector is not the common mercury/mariner. The Yamaha connector fits.
Thanks much,

Latest posts