Helix 7

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny.barile

Reaction score
Show me your Helix 7 mounted in the console area……pics please. :LOL2:

Just pulled the trigger on a Helix 7 GPS G4 with Side Imaging with transom transducer for my 16 ft. side console. I’m not sure how or where I want to mount it to the console. I need some inspiration………

Lost But Happy said:
Congrats!! I've been pining for a helix 7 for a couple of months.

Seinfeld George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn-1.gif

I never had anything but a Humminbird 197c. I didn’t use it for marking fish…it was more for not running the boat too shallow and the water temperature reading is great to know when chasing stripers in the tidal rivers. My buddy got a Lowrance 9 inch recently for his Ranger boat and I realized what a game changer having and understanding these electronics is.

sonny.barile said:
Lost But Happy said:
Congrats!! I've been pining for a helix 7 for a couple of months.

Seinfeld George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn-1.gif

I never had anything but a Humminbird 197c. I didn’t use it for marking fish…it was more for not running the boat too shallow and the water temperature reading is great to know when chasing stripers in the tidal rivers. My buddy got a Lowrance 9 inch recently for his Ranger boat and I realized what a game changer having and understanding these electronics is.

Ha! That's great! I've had a Humminbird 120 for the longest time. You're right, it's only good for water temp and depth. Ill be using it on my new (to me) tinny until I sort it all out. Then ill get the helix.

Picture 078.jpg

I got mail….. :D

9A5A4D3F-F746-444F-B141-5795B2C3F0BA.jpeg

Now I need to pick a location and buy or fabricate a mount.

I have two locations I like.

On the starboard side flat of the console with a RAM mount. It would be easily detachable and adjustable for screen glare issues.
C8B85E0F-18F7-46F6-9FAC-5BC259584BFA.jpeg

…..I cant do flush mount but I can put it in front of the instrument cluster (don’t have any gages on that side).
It wouldn’t be removable or adjustable. I would probably just fabricate an aluminum bar by bending and drilling it out. Then screwing the gimbal mount to it….
5A91A97B-F9EB-4D7D-B514-3E3740D67002.jpeg

Opinions welcome…..

My Helix 7 is mounted to the left of the wheel like where you are holding it in the pic. Reason is when I'm by myself I often sit in the passenger seat facing rear (want to watch the rods pop off while I'm trolling for trout). I can pivot the FF towards me and all the buttons are in easy reach. I used a "Johnny Ray" mount.

I like the Helix 7 a lot. Mine is pretty old, even pre- CHIRP.

I meant to take a pic per your original post, but keep forgetting. I'll try tomorrow.

Edit: I just saw the other pics. I agree with LostButHappy -- mount it on the flat space to the right.

LDUBS said:
My Helix 7 is mounted to the left of the wheel like where you are holding it in the pic. Reason is when I'm by myself I often sit in the passenger seat facing rear (want to watch the rods pop off while I'm trolling for trout). I can pivot the FF towards me and all the buttons are in easy reach. I used a "Johnny Ray" mount.

I meant to take a pic per your original post, but keep forgetting. I'll try tomorrow.

Edit: I just saw the other pics. I agree with LostButHappy -- mount it on the flat space to the right.

Ldubs…..did you go direct to the battery or wired to a circuit in the console? My current fish Finder is on a dedicated switch (breaker) so it would be by itself.
A lot of people say to wire direct to battery for noise issues but the Humminbird installation guide shows wiring to the circuit system.

I will make a suggestion, temporally mount it using a ram mount or similar apparatus. Everyone uses their equipment differently, what is comfortable and easy to use for one may not be for you. With an adjustable swivel mount you can try different angles and locations easily. I am in that process now with my SOLEX 10 and have found what I thought would be convenient is not.

CRS said:
I will make a suggestion, temporally mount it using a ram mount or similar apparatus. Everyone uses their equipment differently, what is comfortable and easy to use for one may not be for you. With an adjustable swivel mount you can try different angles and locations easily. I am in that process now with my SOLEX 10 and have found what I thought would be convenient is not.

Agree, best to temp mount and make sure.

sonny.barile said:
LDUBS said:

Ldubs…..did you go direct to the battery or wired to a circuit in the console? My current fish Finder is on a dedicated switch (breaker) so it would be by itself.
A lot of people say to wire direct to battery for noise issues but the Humminbird installation guide shows wiring to the circuit system.

I went direct to the battery with a fuse at the console. On my boat the bundle of cables from the console back to the outboard & battery is tucked up under the gunnel. It was pretty easy in my case to just cable-tie along that back to the battery.

I also have a fuse block at the battery like the one in this pic. Made it easy to add the FF and the two down rigger plugs.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 8.59.52 AM.png

Could not find a RAM mount locally so I ordered one directly from their website. I am going to run the power cable back to the battery and put an inline fuse on it. It’s easy enough to do so why take chances with interference. I have the same scenario with the wires running to the back. I can just cable Tia to them. The Humminbird manual suggests a 3 amp fuse and my switches are all 5 amp circuit breakers so they are over the threshold anyway.

I installed the new Helix 7 and RAM mount. The toughest part of this was filling the old holes on the console. I taped them from the bottom and used JB Weld Water Weld. The transducer mount had the same hole pattern as the old one so it was just a matter of applying sealant to it. I do need to find some touch up paint for the console because the epoxy is white…..

The RAM mounts are all metal and hefty. Made in the USA. I slso got the steel backer plate for the underside of the console. It’s very sturdy in this configuration.

272104A3-C7F8-4C59-A4E4-9A159F5EFE3F.jpeg

66DF3A43-50BC-4FD3-89A4-2C55A6C1AB02.jpeg

I know they can be a little pricey, but you cant beat the ram mounts !
They adjust easily and if you want to remove your unit, a piece of cake there as well. My current new to me Sylvan Troller has a Lowrance located in a good spot...but just waiting for an excuse to spend the money and get a ram mount !!

Lost But Happy said:
Lookin good Sonny!

Thanks……
airshot said:
I know they can be a little pricey, but you cant beat the ram mounts !
They adjust easily and if you want to remove your unit, a piece of cake there as well. My current new to me Sylvan Troller has a Lowrance located in a good spot...but just waiting for an excuse to spend the money and get a ram mount !!

I see some going for close to $200……this model was $58 + $11 for the steel backing plate. It’s all powder coated metal and made in the USA. I see plastic models made offshore going for just $20 less on Amazon……I am always willing to pay a little more for stuff that’s made here. It keeps my neighbors employed.

I fish in tidal salt water rivers with some heavy rolling currents. Everything in the boat needs to be able to take a beating.

Many of my ram mounts I have bought thru Ebay at a far lower cost. I also use them on my side x side to hokd compass, gps, and I made swing down sunshades using ram mounts that were discontinued for 12 bucks each for a complete mount, base, swivel clamp, and top holder...cant beat that. Now...if I can just stumble across a good deal on a mount for my boat sonar !!!!

Latest posts