Lowe 1442M bow mount TM

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbeau

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone know offhand the best shaft length for a Lowe 1440M bow mount trolling motor? Seems that a 36” or 45” would work. No one appears to be making a 42” anymore.
We mostly fish large fresh water lakes.

Thanks!!
Jim

I have never seen 36 inch in a bow mount configuration…….other than using a transom type on the bow with the head turned around. If you are talking foot controlled….or remote power steer…….it’s 45 inches or larger.

Are you worried about the head sticking up and getting in the way?

Thanks. Yes, I’m talking foot control. Both Motorguide and Minn Kota make a 36” bow mount foot control model for Jon boats.
I actually have a very old 36” bow mount, but haven’t had the opportunity to test it on this boat in anything other than smooth water.
This is very common Lowe boat. Hopefully someone has experience with it and bow trolling length.

I don't know the best length for your boat, but went thru the same thought process when I put a TM on my boat.

Minn Kota says the center of the prop should be a minimum of 12" below the surface. They also provide this chart to help select the shaft length that would work for your boat. I suspect you already know this. On my Minn Kota there is a depth adjustment collar so you can set the depth as deep or shallow as you want, subject to the total shaft length of course. Hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.38.02 AM.png

Thanks for the chart. Yep, I’ve run across some general rules for shaft depth. Just don’t have access to water at the moment because my trailer is being worked on. Was hoping to go ahead and get a trolling motor ordered without measuring in the water.

Unless your boat is exceptionally clean, you can measure to the waterline stain.

From the jon boats I've had, 36" would be too short. It would be adjusted for full length, with head all the way down. An air pocket forms behind the shaft, and can cause cavitition if prop is not deep enough.

Definitely makes sense about the water line. Only thing is I just swapped from a 9.8 to a new 20HP. Probably not enough weight change to raise the bow much though.
Also agree that a 36” would be be lowered all the way to the limits. Maybe I’m wrong but it seems like 42” shafts were common in the old days. Not sure why they stopped making them.

Appreciate the replies!

I use 48" on my DMI1648, but it is electric steer, a MG Wireless. It is set about 5" high, which makes it easier for stowing. I think 48" was shortest availabe at the time. I do recall 42" being a common cable steer length and don't know why they would move away from that size. Does the extra length cause you problems when stowed?

FuzzyGrub said:
I use 48" on my DMI1648, but it is electric steer, a MG Wireless. It is set about 5" high, which makes it easier for stowing. I think 48" was shortest availabe at the time. I do recall 42" being a common cable steer length and don't know why they would move away from that size. Does the extra length cause you problems when stowed?

Yep, the extra shaft length gets in the way a bit. It’s manageable, just not ideal. Hopefully I’ll have the trailer refurb finished this weekend and can mount the new 20HP Mercury. Then I can take it out for some measurements.

Another concern.. Apparently no one is making a foot controlled bow mount with less than 45 lbs of thrust! My 30 year old foot controlled MotorGuide was only 25lbs. It had 5 speed settings and was ideal on the lowest for trolling calm waters. On the highest it would leave a wake behind the boat!

The extra power is not a bad thing. You have it, if it's needed. My Wireless TM is 45lb. Only go above the half way point when using it, instead of the gas motor. Wind can blow a tinny around allot, so good to have the power.

What about trolling slow with such a light boat? Seems that a 45lb thrust TM could be too fast for slow trolling, even on the lowest setting.

The 45lb MG Wireless has variable speed so it can be dialed to whatever you like. The only speed position TM's I've had were transom mounts, 30lb or less. I think the old Herter's was like 12-15lb. I don't recall speed #1 to be too fast on any of them. If you think it is a major concern, get the variable speed.

PS: Requirements creep. Keep going until you get one with anchor lock. :D I purchased a MG Xi3 with it this spring for my son's new jet boat. After the jet, that was the next big game changer for us. I won't buy another without it.

They all have variable thrust right? Setting # 1 on my 25 lb thrust one is perfect for slowly trolling calm waters. Concerned about setting #1 being too fast for that on a 45 pound thrust trolling motor.

Oh I’m seriously considering jumping into something like the xi3. Everyone says spot lock is the way to go I’m not sure how much I would use it though. Mostly bass casting and some Croppie fishing.

airshot said:
Never thought I would use the spot lock either, but...once you have it !!!! Havent used an anchor since..!!!

I have the MotorGuide Xi3 and Spot Lock was a real game changer……..I fish tidal rivers (salt) and it lets me park over or near structure……..without having to deal with currents pushing me out of range. Previously I would need to set an anchor…….

What I was refering to was infinite variable vs 5 - positions.

We primarily fish rivers where current along with the wind can make for allot of time keeping the boat heading in the right place. On our older MG Wireless which doesn't have the gps features, we had a remote for both people. The bow guy is primary, and the stearn guy would take over when the bow guy was occupied. Bought two remotes for the Xi3, but 2nd is not neccessary. My son is normally the bow guy, and he hasn't stopped remarking about how much more fishing he can do. The fish always seem to bite when you are messing with the controls. ;)

I would think anchor lock would be great for crappie fishng to keep you directly over a submerged tree. No messing with the controls, just fishing. Along with anchor lock, there are other gps functions that you may find useful. You can set a heading and speed, and it will track to it. It can also remember paths and be recalled, ie in tracing a bank.

The only fault I have with the Xi3, is it stow/deploy. A bit funky, and thought the Wireless was a better design. I would expect that MK TM's have the same capabilities. Not trying to "sell" the MG. I talk more about the Xi3 in the rigging thread: 17 CCJ Rigging

What is even a better feature than spot lock on my MK is the jog feature. Push a button and it moves you 5 ft in any direction...great for chasing a small schools of perch. Sure beats fiddling with an anchor rope and you can jog in any direction irregardless of wind direction...