'67 14' Alumacraft Shallow V and Trailer remodel.

Boating related questions, small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Update:

I managed to make room in the garage on Saturday. Took me all day, but I got the boat in there and have some wiggle room on each side to work.

Sunday I ripped out all the wood and started to mock up my floor supports.
3-2-09 001.jpg
3-2-09 002.jpg
3-2-09 004.jpg
3-2-09 003.jpg
3-2-09 012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Alright this is where I am right now. Down to bare aluminum. No wood left in the boat.
3-2-09 009.jpg
3-2-09 010.jpg
I do have new stainless steel hardware, and picked up the last of the lumber I need for the floor. I still need to get something for the transom, and that quest is continuing. I started to layout my floor supports and should have something to so you all within the next day or two. I plan to have the wood work roughed in by this weekend. Its supposed to be nice enough out to polyurathane all the wood on both sides. Then I can mount it in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'67 14' Alumacraft
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

3/5/09 update.
I tried to cut out the transom Tuesday night, however my 15 yearo old Craftsman jig saw gave up the ghost. Bought a new one last night.
3-5-09 002.jpg
Tonight I got back to work on the transom. She is all cut, shaped, and sanded to size.
3-5-09 001.jpg
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

russ010

Post by russ010 »

looking good man - keep up the great work!

Big Buck

Post by Big Buck »

Looking good, can't wait to see the finished product.

kemical

Post by kemical »

Hanr3 wrote:3/5/09 update.
I tried to cut out the transom Tuesday night, however my 15 yearo old Craftsman jig saw gave up the ghost. Bought a new one last night.
3-5-09 002.jpg
Tonight I got back to work on the transom. She is all cut, shaped, and sanded to size.
3-5-09 001.jpg
love what you did with the transom, what type of wood is that? i want to get the same thickness, but i dont know where to find it, a friend of mine mention i should get bus bench wood, hey are really good, but i cant find that thickness.
https://www.facebook.com/tcmdoc
Tampa, fl
IN THE HUNT LOOKING FOR A JON!!

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

There should be major progress this weekend. I'll try to post updates every night.

I work for a company that makes patterns for foundry castings, the castings are then poured and returned to us and we machine to a finished part. I got the wood from work.

You can buy what is called 5/4 (5 quarter) lumber from any decent lumber company, not your local home imrovement center. A real lumber yard. This particular piece of wood is Mahagony. Mahaganoy and White Oak are the preferred woods of choice for boat transoms. They are strong and resist rot.
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

kemical

Post by kemical »

thanks!!! tomorrow i will look into it!! local lumber yard
Tampa, fl

BloodStone

Post by BloodStone »

:-# You didn't hear this from me. However said Uncle fished on lakes that had a hp restriction. He changed the cover from the 18hp to a 10hp cover. I did the research and it is in fact a 18hp motor. Model FD-11.
What year is that Johnson 18 hp? And is it a bitc_ to pull start? I just picked up an 18 hp Evinrude (and it has QUITE the resistence when attempting to pull start it & no it's not in gear :lol: ) Also I am trying to go the electric start route (bodes better for the console I plan on putting in the boat). IF I can find a flywheel & starter that is. [-o<
"Everyone should believe in something..I believe I'll go Fishing"
Ernest Hemingway

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

FD11 made in 1957. Its not too bad to pull start once you get it warmed up. It'll fire and run on first pull once warmed up. My first mod the engine will be a fuel pump so I dont ahve to use the vaccum gas tank. Electric start would be an awesome upgrade as well.

Generally high compression is a good thing, makes pull starting a bit rough but it means the piston rings and cylindar walls are in good shape.
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Update 3/8/09
It was a rough weekend to get any work done. Betweent eh Thunder and lightening storms, tornado warnings (really high winds) and family obligations I managed to squek about 8-10 hours garage time.

In reviewing other peoples work on their mods I decided to take a different approch to putting in a flat bottom. I ran 3 2x4" from bow to stern. I'll go into more details on that when I have pictures to share. For right now the three 2x4 are under the deck and the deck is resting comfortable on top.
3-2-09 004.jpg
DSCF1476.JPG

Stern of the boat and from what I started with to where I am right now.
3-2-09 002.jpg
DSCF1479.JPG
I roughed in teh front deck storage area. The pic below is an overhead shot. Note the foam flotation in the front, next is my anchor storage pcket, and finally the last section will be for fishing gear. I laid a plastic tackle box in there so you get an idea how big it is. I expect to place 4 of those plastic boxes in the top half and the bottom half will be general storage. Rain suits, lifejackets, etc.
DSCF1478.JPG
See any flaws at this point? Nothing is fastened in place. Right now everything is just resting in place. I am going to rough it all out, take it all apart, polyurathane everything and then fasten it all together, then carpet.

Couple of things I still have to work out are the hatch on the front strorage and the box around the livewell seat base/battery storage. Got any suggestions?
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Update 3/16/09

After last weekes update I got to looking at all the wasted space in that plan. Desided I needed to change the plan and went with three side by side compartments instead. The starboard side will be for my anchor, the center will be for plastic tackle trays, and the port side will be for whatever. I started to build the support structure and wasn't happy witht he way it was coming out. Just seemed to flimsy. So I remodeled that idea into my current version. Its still not perfect, but after a week of messing around with it, I will settle. I say settle because I am an amatur wood worker. Like I told a wood working buddy of mine. It aint pretty but its functional. I also told him I could get a straight angle to save my life, and its hell trying to build something when there isn't a striaght angle anywere. This deck support structure is totally freehand and not my better work. The only saving grace is once the top and face boards are in place most of the butchery will be hidden. I still have one mod to do to it before I drop it into place, and that will give it more support and tie into where the front seat used to go. you'll get a better idea once its in place. However tonights updates are:
3-16-09 003.jpg
3-16-09 004.jpg
3-16-09 001.jpg
3-16-09 005.jpg
3-16-09 006.jpg
I have two coats of polyurathance on the front deck support structure. That is pretty much done until I install the carpet. This week I plan to get the main deck finished up and back in the boat. I also plan to make a center section for my batteries (seat on top), cooler (drinks,lunch), livewell, and gear storage. It'll be about 5' long and about 14" wide.

While workin on the boat I have determined that at least three other people have owned it before me. My wifes uncle (who I bought it from), some guy who carved his name and SSN, and some guy named JC. I knew my boat was old, but never would have guessed Jesus used it to feed the deciples. :mrgreen:
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

That's lookin' real good! 8)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

kemical

Post by kemical »

cant wait to see the finish product,, i myself have a alumacraft, and im dying to work on the floor, soo thanks for the idea!!
Tampa, fl

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 »

Thanks for the Kudo's.

Update:

I didn't spend but an hour or so in the garage tonight. I put the first coat of paint on the bottom side of the floor/deck. then decided to have a homemade beer. Unfortunately I drained the 5 gallon keg tonight. I guess that means I have to brew more beer this weekend. :mrgreen:

On to the pics:
3-17-09 001.jpg
3-17-09 002.jpg
3-17-09 007.jpg
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft