Mixing rods & reels up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbw

Reaction score
Fishin NJ said:
How many people out there will throw a bait caster onto a spining rod? And vis versa. I have seen several folks on the water this season with casters on spinning rods. Is this bad for the rod or will it just affects performance. I myself am not overly crazy about the trigger on bait caster rods but i guess it just takes some getting use to.

I'd never do that, why don't you buy a rod without a trigger...

When you see someone with an upside down spinning reel, you know they are an expert.

I have never switched rods and reels. The guides on the spinning rod are much larger in diameter for a reason. Also, generally speaking (for bass/walleye type rods), I have found the actions of spinning rods tend to be softer than a comparable casting model, probably because they are usually used with lighter line and lures. A softer rod can absorb more shock and can handle a fish on light line.

Hence, the noodle rod.

Fishin NJ, good luck with the baitcaster. Its tough at first, especially with lighter baits. My favorite bait for the baitcaster is a spinnerbait. My hooksets with the baitcaster are much more solid and its much easier cranking all day than with a spinning rod.

Once you get the hang of it even light soft baits will be easily thrown, it definately takes time though. Start of with something like a 5" senko, baitcasters throw them great. I feel I can give a much better presentaion with a baitcaster over a spinning rod on a lot of soft baits.

I did have a baitcaster on a spinning rod one time. I was like 10 or somehting and bought a casting reel, but no rod. I hooked it on a spinning rod just to test it out. It casted fine. Obviously theres a major difference in rods but, I would say a baitcaster would work ok on a spinning rod, but a spinning reel would suck on a casting rod, due to the much smaller guides.

I love watching people reel a spinning reel upside down, I get such a kick outta it. I cannot understand why a person would rather reel backwards than reel with the wrong hand anyway....not to mention it takes a second to switch the handle.

Latest posts