About 80% done 1988 Alumacraft Update: 8/22/09 New Pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberflexx

Reaction score
If you have read my other post in the boats forum you all would know that I purchased a 1988 Alumacraft 1457 with a 1985 (brand unknown) trailer. I gave $800 for the boat and hopefully I can start on the conversion this week, weather and friend's help permitting.

Here is what I have purchased so far for my boat conversion.

2 new 12inch Tires
Trailer Light Kit
TH Marine Mini Jacker JackPlate
Livewell Airator
12 volt main on/off switch
12volt 4 rocker switch power center
2 12volt lighter sockets
12volt Battery onboard Batt. Tester
2 grey WISE brand bass seats
2 seat post floor mounts
2 seat post pedestal adapter
1 seat post ( I have another one already)
Trolling motor plug and socket
3 – 8 foot 1/8x1inch Aluminum Angle
3 – 3foot 1/8x1inch Aluminum Angle
Riveter and Rivets
Bolts/Nuts and Washers for the alum. Angle
6 2inch hinges for storage box lids
2 larger hinges for the back deck access panel lid ( to get to batt and fuel area)
Fire Extinguisher
Whistle
Battery Box
Marine grade caulking
JB Weld
Black Rustoleum spray paint
Winch strap since the current one is a rope

This is what is needed…

2 new 1 inch plugs ( the plugs I bought didn’t fit as I got them from HarborFrieght)
1 Depth Finder
Some red and black wiring to wire up everything
5/8 or ¾ Marine grade plywood, lowes has something called Avantex that is $22 a sheet will need 2 sheets probably
15/32 plywood, watersealed too.. for sidewalls.
LCD Digital clock to add to the power distribution center
Marine carpet and glue
TIME TIME TIME

Attachments

• littelboat1.jpg
    littelboat1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 13,745
Loggerhead Mike said:
sounds like you got a good pile of goodies there

how much did you get the 12" tires for?

I bought them at HarborFrieght for $39.00 each with rim. Walmart had them for $60 each..

I forgot to include in the list that I have a 1975 Johnson SeaHorse 9.9hp converted to a 15hp, a 3 gallon fuel tank, Deep Cycle Battery, 30lb Minkota with foot pedeal.

Heading to the boat repair shop to pick up a transom clamp bolt for my motor. I noticed that the mushroom shaped peice is missing from one of my bolts and the handle has a crack in it where you would put the lock through so it can not be locked. They guy is charging me half price of a new one since it's used. I think $16 is too high, but I need the part.. #-o

Small Update:

About 30 min. of work @ 10pm underneath a spot light. Did I mention I hate mosquitos?..
I had a few minutes last night and re-wired the rear pole light socket and routed the wires through the aluminum to where my switch panel will be located. I didnt want to use wirenuts so I soldered the wires and used shrink tubing around the connections. I also extended the pos and neg wires of my bilge pump to make it easier to wire and I used the same solder and shrink tubing method as I did with the rear light.

As long as it doesnt rain, I am going to have my fishing buddy come over on thursday after work and maybe we can knock out re-wiring the trailer lights and re-pack the bearings.

Right now the boat looks the same as it does in the 1st picture, except for the red and black wire that is running under the aluminum to where my switch panel will be located. I have been spending most of my time buying the items that I need so I dont have to keep running to Walmart or Lowes everytime I need something. When I get home from work, I am going to try to re-wire the bow light and run the wires back to where my other light wires are located, then solder the connections together so I can connected it to the rocker switch on my switch panel.

Here is the panel thought I bought. I got it off Ebay for $39.00 It has breakers for 5/10/15 and 20 amps.

Attachments

• PowerPanel.JPG
    PowerPanel.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 13,561
cyberflexx said:
Right now the boat looks the same as it does in the 1st picture, except for the red and black wire that is running under the aluminum to where my switch panel will be located. I have been spending most of my time buying the items that I need so I dont have to keep running to Walmart or Lowes everytime I need something. When I get home from work, I am going to try to re-wire the bow light and run the wires back to where my other light wires are located, then solder the connections together so I can connected it to the rocker switch on my switch panel.

Here is the panel thought I bought. I got it off Ebay for $39.00 It has breakers for 5/10/15 and 20 amps.

Can you take some detailed pic's of this. I can build anything but when it comes to wiring things I am an idiot. I can follow instructions and still not get a connection. :oops:

I will take them for you tonight, and upload them tomorrow from work. I dont have my power panel installed or anything, yet.

PM me what you are wanting wired up and I can draw you a wiring diagram, basically connect the dots type of diagram. I am an I.T. Engineer for a DirecTV call center, so electronics comes easy for me. I basically work on computers,and servers and some networking for the call center.

cyberflexx said:
I will take them for you tonight, and upload them tomorrow from work. I dont have my power panel installed or anything, yet.

PM me what you are wanting wired up and I can draw you a wiring diagram, basically connect the dots type of diagram. I am an I.T. Engineer for a DirecTV call center, so electronics comes easy for me. I basically work on computers,and servers and some networking for the call center.

Ironic, DirectTV was JUST here 5 minutes ago and they couldn't get a signal :(

I went to the DMV during my lunch hour and the trailer and boat are now legal. The title will be mailed to my home within 2 weeks. Only cost me for the sticker and plate for 2 yrs ( already 1 yr into the 3yr license term) was only $75.50.

cyberflexx said:
I went to the DMV during my lunch hour and the trailer and boat are now legal. The title will be mailed to my home within 2 weeks. Only cost me for the sticker and plate for 2 yrs ( already 1 yr into the 3yr license term) was only $75.50.

That's a great price for registration for that amount of years! Mine in KY ran roughly $64 for one year, and what we get is a decal to stick on the sides of the boat, but I'm glad we don't have to mount an actual plate on the trailer.

Waterwings said:
cyberflexx said:

That's a great price for registration for that amount of years! Mine in KY ran roughly $64 for one year, and what we get is a decal to stick on the sides of the boat, but I'm glad we don't have to mount an actual plate on the trailer.

Heheh yeah.. the guy wrote on the title that I paid $100 for the trailer and $250 for the boat. I didnt know he did that until yesterday.. That probably helped out some....

WOW... for 3 years on the boat I paid $15... the tag I just transferred to the new trailer and it cost me $5 - yearly renewal for the trailer tag is $12.

That is crazy! I paid $43 for trailer tags which are lifetime or till it switches hands and $7.50 every four years to have the boat registered. Everyone should move to Arkansas! lol

For the boat it's free up here...have to license the trailer though $45 a year.

OK.. Back to the original topic..

I did some work on the boat last night. I routed the bilge pump wires through the boat to where the power switches are going to be located. I also ran 2 wires from the front light, through the hull and side supports to the same location and wired the front lights. I soldered all of the lights and pump connections together and used heat shrink tubing on them. I tested the lights and they both work as well as the pump. I was having trouble routing the wires through the boat, so it took me about an hour to do all this work, under a small shop light and mostly in the dark amongst the mosquitos and moths. I am pulling the pictures off my phone and I will resize them and then upload..

Latest posts