Suggestions on finesse baitcast combo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
By this spring I hope to be able to pick up a new baitcast combo. I mainly want it to be used for wading and shore fishing creeks and rivers for smallies. I generally use a spinning rod for this type of fishing, but would really like to have the control of a baitcaster. I will mainly be throwing soft plastic and hard baits less than a 1/2oz. I would like the rod to be between 6 and 6 and half feet, extra fast medium power. I would like a reel that is light and has a lighter drag. I have used my revo stx on a 5'6" rod and it is great, but regardless of the drag setting and fish size, I always felt like I was just hauling the fish in rather than fighting it, due to the overpowering drag. I am looking to spend, give or take, around $500 for the setup. I really like abu baitcaster, but I don't feel they have a good finesse reel on the market, so I am open to suggestions. As for rods, I like st. croix, shimano and kistler, but again suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

--Jake

Mr. jkbirocz, if ya get a chance feel the steez, this thing is the lightest reel I've ever felt, way out of my league though, Ive thrown some stuff on an American Rod Smith/Abu Garcia Revo set up and found the rod to be very sensitive and the reel to be extremely smooth

I agree with Shamoo.
The Steez reel is the cream of the crop. I would look for a Daiwa Pixy for the ultimate finesse baitcaster. You can probably score a new one for $300 or less. If you are looking to go cheaper, look at the Daiwa sol.

I have a 7' Crucial ML with a Shimano Chronarch MG51, very light set up and the rod is rated down to 1/8 but I'm not good enough to toss stuff that light with a b-caster. It's great with 1/4 oz though, I run braid as well so I'm not too worried about backbone on hooksets but it's got plenty either way. The rod has a list price of $139.00 and the reel lists at $249.00( I got both slightly used and cheap). This rig fits your spec with the exception of rod length, I personally prefer a longer rod but that's probably from years of flyfishing :D

keep in mind that I've never used or held a Pixy but they're supposed to be the Ultimate finesse b-caster

I generally like longer rods too Nick, but when I am shore fishing small water, tree limbs and brush seem to get in the way of the rod. This goes for wading too, I want to be able to be standing in the water and still be able to underhand pitch a bait. I actually havent used a rod, except ultra lights, under 6'6" in almost 10 years, but I am leaning toward something shorter for this type of fishing. I have a 7'2" crucial spinning rod that I love, I will definately check some of the crucial casting rods out, for the price I think it is hard to beat them. Seems like a lot of people love Pixies, I will have to check them out. I have never had a shimano baitcaster and have also been wanting to try one out, all of their other products are great. I still have a while till I can buy gear though, I will hopefully be graduating college in a few weeks and hope to be able to get some cash together for new stuff for the spring. Thanks again for the replies