1974 14' Mirro Craft-Update #5 She's Done

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hockeyref18 said:
Great work man! Can we get a close up of the frame work if possible
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thing's aren't perfect with it but it ended up being super solid and level. Slight uphill to it for water drainage. All we had was a hand saw so he eyed the angles and made it work. Here was the start. We tacked it in to the back supports as well as the side ribs. Then added screws from top to bottom for the support legs.

YJpmsoJ.jpg

The first rib is 1" off the aluminum rib. As we went forward it got gradually taller and taller.
ZccGO3m.jpg

At the bow you see that crooked triangle, we had 2 feet under that as well can't see it but you could walk on it very sturdy. We guess we added 20-30lbs. Boat was 205 dry I believe so we can pick it up fairly easy, this didn't make it much heavier. Took 5 2x4's 8ft long. We just split them down the middle.

It's been a blast thanks for the comments guys!

misunderstood said:
Wow what a transformation. Nice work!!

Still another 2 afternoons to put in. My dad is doing some work today cutting the face pieces for the casting deck getting them waterproofed so they can dry until Monday. Then well build the box section and the face pieces for that as well. The side cabinet and trim work on the main floor should pull the look together.

Boat is finally done! A couple weeks ago dad and I played the main floor down after filling the gaps in the framework with flotation foam. The main floor was screwed into the frame work. We needed to add trim pieces later on to hide the rib's seen on either side of the main floor. Cut some spare fence boards down wrapped them in vinyl and made it work.

The angles are not perfect in spots but she's mine! Really enjoyed working on this boat and doing it with dad was the best part.

Once the main floor was down I left a cut out for my bilge pump and access to the main plug. Hard to see in future photo's but I made a little trap door to keep from things falling into that hole. Simple but I like it. The side cabinet was measured out so I can put in and take out my 31DC battery. That battery will run the Helix 7 and the bilge pump, left a little spot for storage and we kept the wall of the cabinet out from the side of the boat so either or both my paddles and net handle will slide in behind and maximize my storage under the main deck for rain gear tackle bags etc.
RXKxOkN.png

Casting deck was put in next.
QBmTEZb.png

Seat for the passenger
dLn56z3.png

New PowerDrive V2 55lb went on the front perfect. Our bow has a sheet of aluminum with 1/2" piece of wood under it for support. Very solid and riveted on.
VUKCY86.png

Back half of the boat, command centre will have 5 or 6 rods on top rest will be up on the front of the boat.
7qVrADh.png

Everything fits nice room to turn my seat around good position for driving etc.
jQE77g0.jpg

In the driveway ready to hit the lake.
ghAqhGv.png

Will take some "on the water" pictures in the coming weeks. Thanks to the guys that offered advice weather I took it or not was good to have a place to lean back on and ask questions if needed. Hopefully my project will inspire a idea or two for somebody's project of their own.

Tightlines!

MTBF

wow came out fantastic! That boat is nice and deep, I wish mine was

One question, I see there are no supports to tie the sides together. Looks like there were none in the original configuration either.

Is that correct? How sturdy are the sides?

nice job

perchjerker said:
wow came out fantastic! That boat is nice and deep, I wish mine was

One question, I see there are no supports to tie the sides together. Looks like there were none in the original configuration either.

Is that correct? How sturdy are the sides?

nice job

Boat ran awesome this past week sides and floor were perfect. Boat doesn't flex much even in the 2-3ft chop we had felt very safe going full throttle.
The Evinrude brought me up to 21mph solo 20mph with my dad or uncle in the boat and with 3 people we topped out at 16mph.

looks great!

Shoulda done mine as quickly... I'm still masking for paint.... argh.

Hi,

I have the same boat and am currently building the framework for the deck. I plan on leaving all the seats in and just putting in the flat floor and casting deck. My question is, does the boat seem tippy with the height of the deck you have. Reason I ask is I am doing the same height and don't want to go too far into the process only to find it will be tippy!

Thanks,

Luke

What a beautiful job. It looks really good in the way you have re purposed it. The wood working is one of your great skills.

firemedic5853 said:
Hi,

I have the same boat and am currently building the framework for the deck. I plan on leaving all the seats in and just putting in the flat floor and casting deck. My question is, does the boat seem tippy with the height of the deck you have. Reason I ask is I am doing the same height and don't want to go too far into the process only to find it will be tippy!

Thanks,

Luke

Hi Luke, I'm 200lb's and my answer is no the boat is not tippy. My casting deck is find I usually stand 1ft to the left or right rarely completely to one side or the other. It felt good in a 1ft chop also prop was coming out of the water. And if you stand back from the bow one step any wave action is fine. 2 People can fish on this deck depending how you set the hook on calm days it felt pretty decent. Make the deck as long as you can I should of went another few inches longer would help when 2 are fishing up front.

Al U Minium said:
What a beautiful job. It looks really good in the way you have re purposed it. The wood working is one of your great skills.

Thanks man it's not perfect as I said before but it was my first build and am glad I put the time in. At the end of the year she was put away fine, little dirty but I hosed/washed the boat out after every weekly trip this year. Paint held up good on the inside and out, trailer needs new tires and id like to put another Helix 7 in the boat one for the bow this time. Upgrades are necessary but I'm just thankful she did the job, motor trolled well also both the electric and outboard depending on the weather.

Here are some more pictures from the season enjoy!

NewCtu2.jpg

skBTBH2.jpg

Barely left the dock and got a nice smallie good shot of the boat also
DP51ZzK.png

X871hH1.jpg

Fall is here and soon winter. Won't be in the boat again until April/May sadly. Thanks again for all the advise guys!

I have been following this thread because I have a Mirro Craft that I would like to do something similar with. Do you have the measurements you used to do this? It looks really nice!!!

How much heavier did these mods make your boat? currently in the middle of re-doing mine with a console.

I would say the wood's weight was 90-130lbs. Hard to say. All I can tell ya is my 20hp Evinrude 2-stroke moved me my dad 16-20 rods 2 30-45lb tackle bags 2 batteries and a full 6 gallon tank 20-21mph.

Got a new graph for the bow so now I'll have a Helix 7 SI GPS at the back and now a Helix 7 DI CHIRP GPS at my feet up front. Put a smaller Ram Mount in.

It was tough for my passenger to have a spot to lay their rods and reels down usually 3-6 combo's. I decided to take a few pieces of wood and put a big of a structure over my gas tank. I can still slide it in and out with ease but now there is a spot for somebody to lay there rods down on.

With my dad or buddies tackle bag in front of the gas tank always now they got a spot to put them down. Chair misses it perfectly when turning.

Excited for summer! Put a new jack on the front of the trailer and we put nice new tires on the trailer. Last thing I want to do is replace the rollers on the trailer.

Stay tuned. This Fall/Next spring I'm going to rip out and re-do the casting deck and bow. The angles are not perfect and I want to build a livewell into the casting deck. We ran the boat with a large cooler style livewell and i only lost 1mph so it's worth putting in as Dad and I want to fish some small tournaments in the coming seasons. Do that project and find a nice 30-35hp e-start 2-stroke is the goal!