1975 Duracraft 1648 mod V project Tons of PICS UPDATE 9/1/12

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysHook3d

Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post on tinboats. I have been lurking this site for awhile now searching and reading tons of information. A little over a month ago I started my first project on a 1975 Duracraft. Boat and trailer were in rough shape when I purchased it. Trailer was rusted and had broken leaf springs. Boat had a bunch of fiberglass patch work done to cover leaking rivets [-X that was starting to peel off.

I started by removing all of the bolts the PO used to replace the rivets so I could get to all the fiberglass patch work. After the boat was stripped and sanded I reinstalled the seats and ribs and I replaced all the previous bolts with stainless steel truss head bolts sealed with 3m 5200. The boat had a livewell that converted into storage. I then primed the boat with self etching primer and installed the transom wood (1/2" and 3/4" plywood laminated together sealed in epoxy) and the transom backing plate. Next the boat was painted with Rustoleum professional series oil based enamel (color is Sand) with valspar enamel hardener.

Next I moved onto the trailer. The trailer is made for a jet ski so my boat was sticking a good 4ft off the back when i purchased it. I extended the trailer 4ft with 2" by 1/8" steel angle. I purchased a new axle kit from northern tool and moved the entire axle back 1 1/2ft. Since the trailer is narrow for my boat, I ordered and axle that was 1ft longer than factory so I extended the fenders off the trailer frame back over the wheels. I then painted the trailer and made guide posts from 1 1/4" PVC and installed the brake lights up top.

Next I'm looking for a 15-25hp outboard and will build floors over the ribs and a casting deck up front.

This site has been very helpful and informative for me during my project.
Thanks everyone and thanks Tinboats!

Thanks guys!

I made the transom out of 1/2 and 3/4 inch plywood laminated together then sealed with epoxy and painted.

I'm in the process of getting a motor and should be starting a casting deck and floors

I got some up to date pictures of the boat. Painted the name "BIG JON STUDD" on the side with a homemade stencil out of computer paper.... that was fun to make #-o. I also just bought a 1999 4stroke Yamaha 15hp. I got a steal on the motor and it has less than 80hrs on it.

soon to come casting deck and floors.

Your rig is really coming along and looking good. Can't wait for the floors and deck

Latest posts