Bow or Transom Trolling Motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up getting an Ulterra. Believe or not I ran across one on one of the fishing pages I watch. Brand new in the box never opened and I saved over $900, so the man upstairs was watching out for me....again! Now to put on the deck, mount it and finish up the battery installs. Thanks for all the responses!
Sounds great, but don't bet on anything until you have that motor in your hands and have verified it is what it is supposed to be. Scammers are at an all time high !!
Good Luck !!

Sounds great, but don't bet on anything until you have that motor in your hands and have verified it is what it is supposed to be. Scammers are at an all time high !!
Good Luck !!
Isn't that the truth! Sad how much of that is out there.

This one is just what he had said. In his ad he didn't even mention it was new. I almost didn't even contact him because I didn't want a used one.

@Azdesert So how has the ulterra on your boat worked out for you? How do you have it mounted?

Do you think, for loading the boat, that you could use the remote on it to slowly bring it to the trailer, than auto stow once you have it close enough? Same for unloading, could you push it gently into the water and then auto deploy and use the remote to bring it to you? Sure, if it didn't work, you need a backup plan (swim, rope), but seems like it'd be a good use for the ulterra. Is this a crazy thought?

Both. Use the bow mount for spot lock, trolling, etc. If you are on an all electric lake then a ~45 transom mount is handy for launch and landing. Otherwise, I’d go with a small outboard on the transom.

Edit - sorry missed the two motor thing.

Last edited:
I am not able to run two motors due to regulatory restrictions or that would be the route I would go, I think that would take care of my concerns.
I'm sort of surprised I have not heard anything back from TinyBoat on the AutoBoat system. I am sort of leaning that way, of course this is due to the fact that I have Lithiums being delivered in the next couple days and the Aluminum decking I ordered for making the bow ready for the Ulterra should be ready before the end of the week. Something about a horse and cart comes to mind.
As you can see I am at that decision point and thank you for your insights in trying to help me make the right choice.

A pair of oars work fine for launching, landing and back-up.

Do you think, for loading the boat, that you could use the remote on it to slowly bring it to the trailer, than auto stow once you have it close enough? Same for unloading, could you push it gently into the water and then auto deploy and use the remote to bring it to you? Sure, if it didn't work, you need a backup plan (swim, rope), but seems like it'd be a good use for the ulterra. Is this a crazy thought?

Might be a good test of the remotes range. ;)