Fuel Tank Winterization

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnr357

Reaction score
I have a new G3 1652 jon boat with a 9 gal built in fuel tank and 40hp Yamaha. This will be my first winterization to prepare for the northeastern winter (NJ). I will be keeping the boat in my attached garage which is (somewhat) insulated.

Do I need to drain all fuel or can I simply treat with Sta Bil and let it sit until March or so?

I would treat the gas with a heavy dose of stabil (you can't over treat the gas), run the motor to make sure you get the stabil treated gas thru the carbs, etc., If the 40 is a 4 stroke, then run the carbs dry. If a 2smoke, don't run the carbs dry as the oil/gas mix also lubes the cylinders and could cause damage.

I usually fill the tank up completely with a heavy dose of stabil for winter storage, and then come spring I drain most of the gas and use it in the mowers rather than the boat. I also use seafoam in the mix as well.

Thanks for the guidance, TNtroller. I did have trouble trying to run the motor dry though. I disconnected the fuel line but the sucker just kept on running.....also started to emit a loud tapping noise after i sprayed the fogger oil into the intake. I finally plugged the fuel line back in and restarted it. The tapping noise went away....maybe the fogging oil caused spark plug fouling? Missing?

Latest posts