Having trouble w/Minn Kota on board charger power port

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Got a Minn Kota on board charger power port so I can easily plug an extension cord to my charger without opening deck lids, etc. Drill the holes to install the thing and mounted my new Minn Kota 2 bank charger. Was disappointed to find the power port doesn't hold the 110V plug from the charger securely. Tried moving the plug back and forth, but no joy getting it to hold the plug firmly and securely.

Was wondering if anyone else who has this setup did a mod or found a way to get the power port to hold the 110V plug firmly/securely? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing it, because as it stands, I'm about to toss this port and get a Marinco brand. Stability and security in wiring is something I absolutely demand, especially in a boat.

If I can't get this thing to work, I'm going to have to cut the 110V plug off the charger cable and use a Marinco power port, which doesn't lock down the plug, but instead requires you to trim the charger 110V wire back and mount it with screw down locks into the Marinco plug. This will give me a firmly mounted plug, but may be a bit less water proof, though I can certainly take some steps to greatly reduce the water proof concern.

Anybody got any ideas, suggestions or comments? I'm wide open, as I want to complete this charger installation and move on to wiring the LED lights and completing the console deck.

Sorry, can't help with the MK power port...but
Marinco does make an "inlet" which is basically just a tube that has a cap on it that you mount thru a hole in the deck/hatch. You just pull the 110 cord from the charger up thru that tube onto the deck where you can reach it...you don't actually plug into the Marinco itself. The 110 plug is held in place (loosely) by the locking tab on the bottom side to keep it from falling back into the compartment. The advantage to this one is that you don't have to cut / splice anything, it's just a feed-thru. The disadvantage (maybe) is that it has to be installed pretty close to the charger to be able to pull the cord up thru it. (I can tell I've made this just as clear as mud).

I'm pretty sure that this is the one I got: Marinco 150CCI but I'm going to dig around a bit and see if I can confirm that.

Edit..A picture is worth a thousand words...
Marinco 150CCI.jpg

Had to look up what it was because I've never heard of it before (the charging port). If I understand what you're asking, the charging cord's plug isn't staying in the clamshell and is pushing backward and out of the "power port" when you press the extension cord on to it.

Couple things, looks like it's just simple screw clamp that holds the charger cord in place. I'm sure you've assembled it correctly, but just check to make sure you don't have any "extras" that are preventing the clam shell from completely grabbing the cord. Sometimes these molded plastic jobs have slag/tags in them that prevent it from fully seating.

If that's correct, check to make sure the plug is all the way seated forward in the assembly and tighten it down, push back on the pins with your thumbs and see if there's any movement at all in the plug vs the clamshell. If there is, you may need to shim the backside of the clamshell so it holds the plug securely. You're going to be crushing the clamshell down anyway, so I'd get some semi firm grippy material that can crush around the plug and hold it while the clamshell secures it. Probably something like a small section of drawer liner. The added bulk and grip of the liner should crush easily, and secure the plug inside of the port from moving around.

That's about all I got.