Hull deadening

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmatheaus

Reaction score
Current have my floor out of a G3, raising the floor and Im looking for a solution to deaden the hull against wave slap. Preferably want to stay away from foam and sheets. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_8470.jpg
    IMG_8470.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
I have often wondered if automotive sound deadening may have a use in the marine world. It certainly does a good job of deadening the metal panels on a car. Wouldn't hurt to try it out.

I have often wondered if automotive sound deadening may have a use in the marine world. It certainly does a good job of deadening the metal panels on a car. Wouldn't hurt to try it out.
Anything in that industry you'd recommend in spray form?

Auto sound deadening is fantastic, but heavy and really shouldn't get wet or be exposed to water. Allegedly there is a special paint that deflects sound waves, but it is VERY expensive.

Maybe just use spray truck bed liner?

Might become a real mess when it gets wet !! The only thing I have found to deaden an aluminum hull is carpet and we all know the downsides of having carpet in a boat!!

I assume you mean while underway. Bottom parts of my hull is filled with two part expanding foam. If that is deadening the hull against wave slap, I would hate to hear it without the foam.

Might become a real mess when it gets wet !! The only thing I have found to deaden an aluminum hull is carpet and we all know the downsides of having carpet in a boat!!

Dynamat has a product line for marine. Probably a little expensive. A popular alternative was the soft self adhesive roof flashing (peel n seal), it shouldn't have any issue getting wet.

I don't know of anything in a spray application. It's worth noting that sound deadening doesn't require complete coverage of a panel to work, in a boat I'm sure you could get by with only doing the bow and side sections that are most likely to get wave slap, no need to do the whole bottom.

Last edited:
I think automotive deadening material would be great. It‘s basically a soft rubbery material with an adhesive backing. Some has an aluminum foil layer and some doesn’t. If applied properly I don’t think trapped moisture would be an issue. Maybe just avoid covering rivets.

Edit: It is heavy so wouldn’t get carried away with stuff.

That’s my ten cents anyway.

Last edited: