More Fun!!! Bent Prop Shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "liked" your post, but don't really like what your buddy went through. After reading it, I checked out the cost of a new lower unit for my motor. Not cheap. I'm glad I'm normally in deep water.
Rich and I have been friends for a very long time, worked-hunted and fished together probably 35 years or more and yes I was heart-broken when it happened to Rich, I did what I could to help but going through a heart attack left me well helpless to lend a hand which I have done a bunch of times with Rich and his boat. He got through it but the cost just blew me away.. Thanks for the reply and here's to hoping you get back on the water less expensively.

View attachment 118210
View attachment 118211
Well after researching it and giving it a go, looks like everything going to be alright after all. YouTube saved me once again. I’m going to tweak on it a little more and see if I can get it perfect, then put in water today or tomorrow and see how the motor and gears feel. So far I’m pretty pumped this doesn’t “appear” to be the disaster I thought it was going to e.
Water test will prove it all, good luck and pretty ingenious on your part.

Going test tomorrow. I asked my marine shop how much they would have charged me today. They remove shaft and have a machine shop true it up, they replace carrier bearings and impeller and it would have been $950 on my Yammy F90😳

I just did this job on a buddies 25HP Merc. New output shaft cost about $150, and I bet on a 90 it would be a lot more. I have also bent them back with success using the same method you did. On a 90hp you will know pretty quick if it has any excessive vibration. If there is immediately stop use or you will damage your seals. If you haven't done so already, change your lower unit oil and I'd suggest a change within 4 or 5 outings with the boat. Be a shame to fix it only to torch the gears with a bad seal.

I just did this job on a buddies 25HP Merc. New output shaft cost about $150, and I bet on a 90 it would be a lot more. I have also bent them back with success using the same method you did. On a 90hp you will know pretty quick if it has any excessive vibration. If there is immediately stop use or you will damage your seals. If you haven't done so already, change your lower unit oil and I'd suggest a change within 4 or 5 outings with the boat. Be a shame to fix it only to torch the gears with a bad seal.
Yeah that sounds pretty smart. Thank you.

Thanks for posting this tip. If ever in your shoes I'll definitely give it a try. My only reservation is you put a lot of stress on some other parts right? I'll be surprised if you didn't incur at least a little collateral damage. Worth it though for sure.