My 12 ft quicksilver upgrade - looking for some good tips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeep

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After reading on this great forum for a couple of days I am eager to start on my boat project and as I am reading more, the more I want to upgrade!
lol!
So I am hoping on your thoughts for my project.
The boat I bought is a 12 feet aluminum quicksilver - made by marine, v-hull. No idea from what year it is, maybe 2005..
It came with a 5hp johnson 2 stroke which is also pretty sweet.

It was previously owned by a avid fisherman and he did a very good job on the interior.
All is made out of aluminum and in very good condition.
The boat itself is also in good condition except from some scratches and some minor dents.

So what I want to do in a nutshell is put in some new decking for the nose and back of the boat, new carpet, some new seats and maybe a new paint job for the parts visible inside and the outside - above the waterline.
As the boat will be in the water permanently - except from wintertime - i will also be making a proper rain cover on it.

What I started was, was to strip all of the stickers, rod holders, and grips and stuff.. there were just too many on there.., and take out the old carpet.
I also detached the front troller plateau which was kinda bent and not so solid anymore.
I am planning on extending the front deck and make a small storage compartment under the nose deck.(posted a topic about this earlier).
Also the back of the boat -which is now open- could look beter with a covering plate on it.

The storage boxed for the battery and live well (which I am not using) are made out of plastic buckets.. which is kinda cheap.. but then you will not see those when the lids are closed.

So what I am wondering about is:

paintjob
The paint on the outside is still is good condition -factory paintjob- but very scratched and riddled with rivets from the interior build.
Should I remove all paint, or just sand it and repaint?
Should I prime it first?
And with what kind of paint? You have 1 component and 2 component paints..
Also which application would be best? I do have a automotive paint gun but I will be doing all the work outside.

On the interior I plan on only painting the railing and planning to put the carpet just under the small strip above the deck.

The railing also has quite some rivet holes in it where previously stuff was attached.
So I guess these need filling first with epoxy or new rivets and paint over those?

I know.. lots of questions... but I really hope you guys can get me on the right track..
If anything is not clear please ask..
:)

Big thanks from The Netherlands
JP

The boat as I bought it.
foto1.jpg

Stripped!
foto2.jpg

Rivet holes in the railing
foto3.jpg

Fronttroller decking removed
foto4.jpg