Need a new rod... ordering in the next couple of days

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansasnative

Reaction score
On May 7th i'm leaving town for an internship that's required by my degree to graduate college. I did my research and found that there are some really nice fishing waters in the area I will be going to. For my birthday, my parents got me a Pro Qualifier PQX10SHLA with 7.1:1 gear ratio (Left Hand Retrieve Woohoo!) and now i need a rod to go with it! My first plan was to go all out and build a rod myself to my liking but due to my funds and time constraint, thanks college, it looks like i'm just going to have to buy a factory rod to take on the trip with me.

Here's my list of what i want from the rod...
1. Good for all around use but can be used (with the 7.1:1 ratio) as a technique specific combo later.
2. Under 100 bucks
3. From Basspro... i have a gift card
4. Preferably split grip but not a must
5. I was gonna go cork grip when i was gonna build it but since i'm buying it doesnt really matter
6. I'm not a fan boy and don't get stuck on the pro models designed to catch fishermen so anything that has performance to back it up goes!

Thanks for the opinions guys!

EDIT: i currently have 3 rods that i use...
1. trout/bream/travel spinning rod: Ugly Stik Lite Pro Graphite 7' Medium paired with a Shimano Syncopate 2000
2. Rod I got as a gift: Bass Pro Mega Cast Baitcast Combo 6'6" in MH... not sure what to use this rod for lol.
3. My first baitcasting rod: An OLD Berkley Lightning Rod 5'6" in M paired with an OLD Shimano Bantam Citica. Doesn't get much use anymore. I don't like short rods or short grips.

These are slowly going to get replaced with left-handed models and better rods...

I think you'd be happy with either the BPS Extreme or the Carbonlite. They're both pretty nice and won't break the bank.

I've only used a micro-guide rod once so take that for what it's worth. I saw no down side to it, but I also didn't think it did much for me either. For now I'm sticking to good ol regular guides.

One thing about the micro guides... if you plan on fishing in the winter where the eyelets on your regular rods have the tendency to ice up - don't do micro.

I fish year round and my micro guide rods only get used when water temps get above 40* because it can cause some serious backlash when your eyelets freeze up as soon as you dip it underwater to unfreeze... just sayin

I want to thank everybody for their opinions... i just ordered a 7' MH Fast Carbonlite with micro guides to go with my pro qualifier and im about to order a rod sock from tackle warehouse to take care of it!