New to boats - help me with motor decision

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satchamo

Reaction score
Hello,

New to boats and this forum. I was recently given a sea nymph 14 r that’s in decent shape other than sitting for 5 years uncovered. I’ve already started rehabbing the trailer, cleaned up the hull a bit and have plans to replace the transom, paint the outside then frame a floor/deck in it and fix it up for me and my son to fish local lakes.

It currently has a 1990 Johnson 15 hp outboard on it. When I first got it, I threw fresh gas and lower unit oil. It starts, but only on WOT and it chokes out and dies. So I have a carb kit coming to try cleaning/rebuilding that piece first. I know this won’t be the only thing as I’m noticing oil coming out of a few places and some dry rotted what I would assume seals.

Basically from my limited perspective, it looks like it could just be a $ pit to try and fix up and maintain. I have 3 kids and limited time to work on motors. So right now I’m considering trying to find a new or newish 4 stroke vs keeping this Johnson and potentially getting it running good or potentially not… b

A local dealer has a 2016 mercury 15 hp 4 stroke for $2000 that’s catching my eye…. But I have no idea if this is a good price? New models were about $1000 more but were efi. The outside looked a bit beat up but definitely no worse than this old Johnson I have.

So in summary I know I gotta spend money either way - so I buy a new 15, fix up the Johnson 15 or try and find a used 15 like this one the dealer has or similar on FB? Im leaning towards a used motor at the moment just knowing if I spend the money, it might be more in the short term, but would save me $ and time in the long term,

First off......welcome to Tin Boats and the engine side of things.
A 1990 15hp is just about bulletproof. You will spend far less on getting it running (carb rebuild, fuel lines, gear oil, new water pump, and a good cleaning and greasing of all the fittings, etc than you will by spending $2000 on another used engine. Plus, the Johnson/Evinrude 9.9/15hp platforms are extremely user friendly and good running engines.
Am sure others will chime in. I would suggest you do some reading in here and see if you agree!

Wondering about this.

“I know this won’t be the only thing as I’m noticing oil coming out of a few places and some dry rotted what I would assume seals.”

Where is the oil coming out from and what does it smell like?

I’d honestly give it a chance before rushing out and buying something else.

With a carb clean, new impeller and gear oil it will probably be gtg unless stored in extremely bad conditions and will be worth at least what you put into it as a parts motor.

I understand time is a concern, but throwing 2k into a free boat will only net you a boat worth 2k total depending on your area. Besides that, you will have many other expenses in getting it set up and the family outfitted to go fishing.

At this point you know it should run, can you do a compression test?

If it has spark, decent compression and does not leak gear oil it’s probably a good motor even if you have to tinker with it a bit.

Last edited:
I agree with Pappy, the older 2 strokes once you get them running right are bulletproof and generally trouble free. That said there are some advantages to a 4 stroke that may make it worth it to you. Either way I think you'd be best served by getting the motor you have working well so that if you choose to move on it will be worth something.

Mix a good dose of seafoam in the fuel and run it in a barrel. Probably just needs cleaned out. Those motors if taken care of will last a lifetime and half a lifetime if abused!

Mix a good dose of seafoam in the fuel and run it in a barrel. Probably just needs cleaned out. Those motors if taken care of will last a lifetime and half a lifetime if abused!
I ended up getting it going after a carb rebuild. I just need to link and sync it and I think it’ll be good to go

Why do you think you need a sync and link? What are the symptoms?

Before you try link and sync, make sure your idle mixture is tuned in.

Unless you (or someone else) changed an adjustment, timing and sync are probably about where they should be. I often have people come who messed with it, and could never get it right again.

It usually, turns out they rebuilt the carb, but didn't clean it out properly, or didn't get the idle mix right or something else fuel-related. So they started adjusting linkage.

Tell us the symptoms in detail before adjusting the settings.

UNLESS you just want to justify to your wife that this "old" engine needs to be replaced with a new 4-stroke. 😄

In that case, I'll pay for shipping to take that old motor off your hands, as a favor, of course.

Why do you think you need a sync and link? What are the symptoms?

Before you try link and sync, make sure your idle mixture is tuned in.

Unless you (or someone else) changed an adjustment, timing and sync are probably about where they should be. I often have people come who messed with it, and could never get it right again.

It usually, turns out they rebuilt the carb, but didn't clean it out properly, or didn't get the idle mix right or something else fuel-related. So they started adjusting linkage.

Tell us the symptoms in detail before adjusting the settings.

UNLESS you just want to justify to your wife that this "old" engine needs to be replaced with a new 4-stroke. 😄

In that case, I'll pay for shipping to take that old motor off your hands, as a favor, of course.
well, I’m a big ole dumby and found out that the little plastic nut where my kill switch lives actuall adjusts tension on the throttle cable. Once I figured that out, I got it running great. I replaced my grip as the old one was disenegrated and in the process just ran that plastic piece out to where I didn’t have enough throttle tension to maintain idle. So it would just die on me…

So I’m reading on this Leroy’s ramblings page and he starts discussing all the pieces of timing with the sync/link and has me convinced I need to go down this rabbit hole to check it but to your point, I’m probably chasing an issue that doesn’t even exist. I haven’t messed with anything adjustment wise besides the twist throttle cable adjustment, carb and fuel pump rebuild. So I’ll leave and let live

Nice find! Tiller parts do wear out. Glad you found the issue.

A sync and link is pretty simple. Loosen up the linkage to both carbs and open and snap both butterflies shut. With both shut tightly, tighten the link between them. Now they are sync'd.

Then, adjust the main lever to the throttle cam, so they are completely closed at idle, and perfectly horizontal at wide open. All done.

As far as timing goes, I recommend you leave it alone.

But you can try playing with the timing if you really want. Make sure to get a factory service manual before you start, and maybe use a sharpie to mark where the settings currently are, so you can put them right back if needed.

IF you do, use a good timing light and stay where the factory manual specifies. Don't try to add bigger jets and advance the timing to get more speed unless you are very good with tweaking outboards and have extra powerheads to play with. It's not worth it, in my opinion, unless it's your hobby.

Otherwise, skip the tweaks and go fishing with your already good-running motor.