No Tig Welders

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny1

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Been searching for a local shop to do some simple repairs on my boat. There are none. I just wanted to use their machine and pay them for it. A few shops do mig on aluminum but after looking at their handy work there is no way they are touching my boat. I have never mig welded aluminum and would prefer tig anyhow. Talked to a few of my motorcycle friends hoping for a local lead but got nowhere. Even the boat repair shops around the lake do not offer tig welding. Have some friends in Tulsa that are more than willing to help me out. They are former co workers who have set up shop in their homes. One even owns his own shop in Broken Arrow and tried to offer me a job. Long story short. Tulsa is 50 miles away and My trailer needs some work before I load up and travel. So got to thinking about it. Between the motorcycle world and the boat world if a guy had a small shop and knew WTF he was doing he could do rather well for himself. Am 65 years old and collect social security. Pretty much banged up. Have had two hip replacements and still have a bad back and Knee. Barely get around to be honest about it. Electric pole and transformer going in by the end of the week. Shop slant portable garage ordered. Miller 800 inverter ordered. Already state certified and Department of transportation certified. So now all I need is insurance. So much for retirement . Wife and friends say go for it. Even the few folks that I have repaired their equipment in the landscaping world are pretty excited about it Life goes on I guess.

Good for you Sonny 1. There's no shame in making a few extra dollars doing what you know and like to do. Nothing saying you can't operate 3 days a week and take the rest off. Just be sure to charge enough and don't give away your skills. I say go for it if you can. Better than sitting around and complaining about the government. Good Luck.

Yes I want time to go fish. I get by pretty good with just social security and my cows. Everything I own is paid for. Wife has a real retirement check after 20 plus years in a union shop. We do OK. Looking at this at more or less a hobby and providing a much needed service. Not looking at it really as a money maker.

Sonny,
First, you have to do enough TIG work to pay for the machine, then you can take work according to YOUR schedule. Don't overbook, as that becomes stressful. They can wait or go somewhere else.

If you don't have enough customers to start with, you can always make a post on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. The latter, especially will probably get you as much work as you want. I make a listing, then delete it when too many people start bugging me.

I hope it goes well for you!

Latest posts