Removing Foam from Bench Seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper33

Reaction score
Greetings:

I am adding upgrade/updating my jon boat, and now that I am done sealing up rivets, etc, it is time to move onto the sub floor. While cleaning up the floor it is clear that I had/have mice in the bench seats foam. I am not sure if I can get rid of them with the foam still there. I thought about sealing off the area, but then might get some dead smell (which isn't usually horrible with mice for very long), but I wonder if it is more practical to remove the foam and convert into storage.

How much structural integrity would I lose by removing all of the bench foam? There are two benches. I am using expanding foam in the subfloor, so foam in general will not be lax, but I hunt with some big boys, and do not want to have the bench cave-in because the foam is out.

Thank you for any insight!

The foam was installed for flotation and to follow USCG regs for flotation; only issue is most if not all manufacturers used foam that collects / holds water - Tracker is best known for using water holding foam (I had done several tracker jon boats and they all held water in the seat foam. There are better alternatives to poured in foam out there. Pull the foam and get rid of the mice, lol

Just put some sticky traps in the boat, and you will catch the mice. Maybe a dab of peanut butter in the middle will help entice them faster.

I wouldn't tear my boat up because of a couple of mice, but that's just me

The mice piss smell might be around allot longer than the mice. Back a number of years ago, a mouse was watching us fish from our old StarCraft. Never knew if that mouse made it to the bank or gobbled up by a Muskie or the like. ;)