Seat as structural component?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alteredpilot

Reaction score
I'm looking at an 82 Sea Nymph 14R. Can anyone tell me with certainty whether or not the center seat is a structural component of the hull?

Thanks in advance

Without knowing that model specifically, then I'd say most definitely "YES" the center seat serves to keep the sides of the boat from flexing out and 'oil canning' as the bow hits seas. Boats you see with a split center seat use the integrated floor as the structural member to add strength back into the hull.

FYI, there's some good info and ideas in this post here: https://www.tinboats.net/threads/structural-integrity-compromised.49185/#post-486538

Stresses on a Tin Boat.jpg

Generally you can cut the center seat out in the middle or replaced completely with two side boxes.
The seat generally acts as a gusset to reinforce the sides of the hull from both lateral collapse and flex.
If the middle seat is cut, be sure to leave enough of the bench on each side to be able to fasten each end to the floor or lower ribs. The seat ends should remain filled with foam, and a riveted or welded plate installed to fill the end of the cut bench, the plate needs to extend down to support the cut bench in the same position it was in before being cut. Take a look at how many 'split' or 'pass thru bench' models are done.
Adding two rod boxes can also suffice if they provide the same amount of gusseting on each side but its easier to just cut the existing seat and not mess with the through hull rivets.

My current boat has very wide, structural gunwales, probably 6" wide, They greatly stiffen the hull. This boat is much stiffer than my previous one that just had a 2" top rail for a gunwale.

I don't know the construction of your Sea Nymph, but if it doesn't have wide gunwales, that seat is probably a pretty important feature.

In the boats I've redone, I often added a front deck, and that also helps stiffen the boat, but it doesn't fit everyone's style.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm just sitting here looking at the boat and thinking I'd like to have more floor space, but I don't want to build a mini bass boat. I'll likely never cut into this thing. I'll probably upgrade to a little bigger console boat in a couple of years if my kids prove to enjoy time on the water. But it's the tinkerer in me that is constantly thinking of ways to improve the function of all of my toys.