size of trolling motor for your boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwd

Reaction score
I have a 16 ft deep V boat. I fish on this one lake thats electric only. Right now I have a minnkota 27 lb thrust transom mounted trolling motor on the back. Too slow. Anyways I want to get a bigger trolling motor. I have read that you need 1 pound of thrust for every 5 lb of weight. Then I read that you should go with nothing less than a 40 lb thrust trolling motor on a 16 foot boat. I want a 50 lb thrust trolling motor but cant afford one right now. Been watching them on Ebay and they are going high almost the price of a new one. So will a 40 lb thrust one be ok on the boat? because I can but them locally for 150 bucks new.

Thanks
Steve

You can get a 55 prowler for 199.00 at bass pro. A 40 is a bit small but will work, probably gain you 2/3 more speed than you got, but will also use a bit more power as well. I got a 40 on the back of my 18/60, i only use to load the boat, or for emergency if the 109 bow mount breaks down.

Who makes the prowler trolling motors? I got a 50 lb thrust minnkota on the bow and it works great but its a pain loading and docking the boat. So thats one reason to get a transom mount one. Might have to check out a prowler.

Steve

Bugpac said:
Bass pro, made in china.

Motorguide. They merely rebadged a previous model (Thruster, I think - not entirely certain though). Bass pro doesn't make or arrange the manufacture of anything; they sell parts made by other companies under their own name.

Many Motorguide parts will fit it.

I didnt know if they was a re badged motor or made for BPS. I found a Minn Kota Eudura for 219 at wally world. Dont know how good either motors would be. I have 2 Minn Kota and a Mariner. The Minn Kotas have a vibration on high and dont really like that and dont know why. Props look good no nicks or chunks missing.

Steve

I'd go at least 55. Academy sports has some good deals. Found an mk 80lb for just under $1k as opposed to almost $1300 elsewhere.
Santa is coming lol.

I think the formula is 1 lb thrust for 50lbs of weight.

https://www.trollingmotors.net/trolling-motor-resources/trolling-motor-selecting-guide.html

I run 16 ft V boat with a 48lb on the bow (foot control) and one (sometimes two) 30 lbers on the back locked in stern

Switching to another 48 lber on the stern

The one electric only lake i fish is about 2 miles long (and of course I always want to fish the other end) and 365 acres total

It is a long ride from one end to the other and back on the electric TM

I have a 50lb transom mount converted to bow mount on a 1648 mod v and i feel its plenty. I never fish above 5-10mph winds though.