Spot fix the flotation foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navipro

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am restoring and modernizing 99 Crestliner fishhawk. I have ripped out the floor and found that foam is mainly dry. There are couple areas around boat seats (6x6 inches) that have saturated foam. I was going to cut it out and refill with fresh foam. I can buy the kit for 120 dollars of closed cell flotation foam on Amazon, but I really do not need that much.
Anyone knows if any of the big box stores sells closed cell foam in cans (I think I just need a single can)
Thanks guys

Attachments

• 20240911_202542.jpg
    20240911_202542.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0
Couple 6x6 areas, here are the things that come to mind:

-- I might just ignore it, meaning leave the spaces empty.

-- Stick some empty plastic soda bottles in the holes and call it good. Shoot a couple dabs of gap filling foam to keep them from rattling around.

-- Cut pieces to fit from foam insulation boards available at any big box hardware store.

Last edited:
Take a shop vac and put the end of the hose at the bottom of the saturated areas and turn it on. You may be surprised how much water is in there. The vacuum will pull it out. Check back in an hour or so and move the nozzle to the other spot(s).

Once that's done, fill foam from a can works fine for spots. Try to not put more than needed, so you don't have to trim it. Trimming is when water will get into it.