TM/FF Interference Issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAS114

Reaction score
I have read various reports on other boards that my fish finder and 24v trolling motor are going to give me fits. Before I drill holes and run wiring for the FF, can anyone comment? The trolling motor is a MotorGuide Brute, 24v and the FF is a Lowrance X70a. I have the 24v system running up one side of the boat and the 12v system running up the other. I was going to mount the transducer on the TM, run the wire up the shaft, down the foot control line, then up to the FF.

3835129696_508190074b.jpg

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Are you using the same batteries to power both units?
I was thinking that was where the interference may come from.
Never really thought that it might come from the transducer being directly connected to the TM.You could cut a piece of rubber and put that between the transducer and motor,plus sheild the cable.
It might not be needed though....1000's of people have transducers an their TM's.
I hope that this is what you where asking/

Keep your battery power cables away from the fish finder.That will help with electrical interference.Make sure there are no ground wires connected to the hull and there are none chafing against the hull.Some older engines have a problem with the ignition system causing interference if electronics are mounted close to the motor.

I've got a MotorGuide 71# 24v up front, and a Lowrance HDS-5x up front too... I have my power wires running down opposite sides - and the fish finder is hooked into the same sets of batteries (still 12v connection) and I haven't had any problems with it.

The interference happens when you use the same power wires for both the TM and fishfinder. The TM introduces electrical "noise" through the electrical wires, if your fishfinder is attached to the same wire the electrical circuits in the fishfinder have a hard time dealing with the noise. You can use the same wires, however you have to install a filterbefore the FF. The other option is to run wires for the FF back to the battery, the battery provides "clean" power.

Your truck distributor plays hell on your trucks elcetrical circuits, especially the radios. Radio Shack has a filter that will work if your FF is on the smae power lines as the TM.

Well, three times out and no problems with interference. Proving, once again, that you can't believe everything you read on the interwebs.

Latest posts