Terrova or Edge?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanielrthomas

Reaction score
Allright guys, thanks for all your help on my trolling motor problem last week. I've decided to go with a 55# Minn Kota. I want the foot pedal steering, so I have to choose between a Terrova or an Edge. Terrova has a $100 rebate right now so the price difference would be around $150. I'm a little scared of the electric steering though. Has anyone had any experiences with the Terrova(good or bad)? Ive got a 1448 G3 flat bottom. Thanks.

Well i cant help with the electric vs cable performance, but i can tell you i chose the Edge over the Powerdrive about 2 months ago. I felt that for the style of bass fishing i do the cable steer would better suit me.

I went with the 50 lb thrust Edge, i bought it reconditioned off Cabelas website and saved some money. It is the first bow mount i have had, and i am still getting used to it, but i like it. My only thing i dont like is the power differance from setting 4 to 5 is pretty big. Hope you get some help on here with your choice. Bassboy helped me with my decision as he has had both cable and electric steer.

I've heard a lot of people unhappy with the electric steering... and if it were me, I'd go for the cable steering... $150 is not enough for me to change my mind on switching over when I know there have been known problems.

If I were going to do that, I would get the 65# Minn Kota from Bass Pro - they've got a good price on it right now.

Yep, for bass fishing, cable steer is the only way to go. I used to have a powerdrive on my last boat, and while bass fishing, it was a constant fight for boat control. The pedal just isn't ergonomic enough to constantly keep a foot on for boat control while casting.

Now, if you aren't a bass fisherman, I would probably recommend the Terrova. If you do a lot of actual trolling, and don't use a gas motor, that will be where the Terrova shows its stuff. When I longline troll cranks or jigs in the river, the cable steer motor I have now is a pain. I have to be in the front of the boat, with my foot on the pedal at all times. The electric steer motors allow the pedal to be wherever in the boat you may want it, and you can take your foot off without loosing control.

If you are a constant open water fisherman, using multiple lines in rod holders around the boat, and want the trolling motor to just move yourself around, and possibly follow schools of stripers around, the Terrova would be a good choice. Pedal can be in the middle, so you can reach all rods while controlling the boat.

So, if you fish for bass, or something where you are always on the bow deck, casting, or are spider rigging for crappie, go with the Edge. If you troll, or fish multiple rods in open water, go with the Terrova.

I just put a terrova on my boat and could not be happier. I bass fish and crappie fish and it works well for both. I set the autopilot on, set the point to steer, even against a 20mph wind keeps me tracking my line and I don't even have to think about it at all just fish. I bought the copilot for it but I have to tell you If I had not bought it when I bought my motor I would not purchase it now. That autopilot works a treat once you know how to set it for the conditions.

I have a 55# terrova on my 1436 G3 and love it, I fish for bass on rivers and lakes and have never had a problem. I bought the terrova because of the low profile pedal and let me tell ya it's more comfortable and takes up less space than a cable steere. When fishing out of my buddy's bass boat and using his motor I feel like I'm doing the captian morgan pose.lol. Really though it's personal preference. You could always try it for a little and if you don't like it take it back. Both Cabelas and Bass pro are pretty ease to deal with on returns.