1980 BassTracker I Build Has Begun (updated 9/1)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
I got a 1980 15 foot BassTracker I with a 1967 20HP Johnson that I am in the process of turning into a bowfishing rig. It needed a lot of love.

Here are some before shots.

oruf5s.jpg

10e1sh3.jpg

Here are some during the floor tear out. In the end after I put the new floor in, I will probably have lost 100lbs in weight from water logged foam and rotted plywood. The wood literally fell apart when I took off the carpet.

2l8ubf6.jpg

168vj7p.jpg

2db2had.jpg

Here is where I am at right now. The carpet and rod holders on the on side needs to come off. Then all I need to do is run wire, then its ready for its new foam and floor. I'm not putting carpet back in, I am probably using tuff coat or something similar, but at $70 a gallon I might try mixing some sand into paint first. How well does the sand deal work?

2rpwkzk.jpg

98ydn7.jpg

qo7qip.jpg

Nice boat! Looks like it was time for alittle TLC on the floor. Look forward to seeing your progress. Can't help on the sand idea, but I've wondered the same thing....they used to put in plaster for texture, don't know why it wouldn't help??

ST

I'm just wondering how well it holds up. Am I going to end up with the sand coming off and getting all over or does it stay put? That sort of thing.

Great work so far! :beer:

Doesn't walmart sell a roll on bed liner on the cheap?

I think its called duplicolor and its like $40.

I did a quick google search.

https://forums.off-road.com/toyota-suv-s-trucks/151305-duplicolor-bed-liner.html

Something I just thought of, Tractor Supply sells large rubber mats. I "think" they're like 4'X6'? and sell for around $30. A couple of those could be easily trimmed to fit, and would be easy to remove to hose off, and of course wouldn't be slick if they got wet....$60 invested, perhaps less than paint/bedliner, and alot less messy & time consuming. Just a thought.

ST

Nice looking rig the work with. That baby has lots of potential! Can't wait to see what you do with it. :beer:

walmart does sell roll on bedliner. i bought a quart of herculiner from them at i think around like 23 bucks. worked good for me.

Good to know about walmart, thanks. Hopefully I can get it in a lighter color. While I will be bowfishing at night when the suns not an issue, it is going to do double duty and will be rod and reel fished during the day.

The rubber mats would work, but the floor still needs to be coated with something so I don't end up with what I took out. I forgot to mention, the floor did not appear to be original. The guy I bought it from said the front nav light never worked when he got it, and when I took the floor out, the wires underneath weren't connect in the middle. I also found loose change, nail clippers, an old Mustad Hook patch, and a jig head under it.

It is going to have some halogen lights around the deck, with a generator to power them. Not sure what to do about seats yet. I decided against painting it, it will stay bare aluminum, but I think the I might get some new bowfishing decals made to replace the bass tracker ones. Perhaps "Carp Tracker" :lol: Or since I have been a Batman fan for a few years and will fish at night "The Dark Knight" would be fitting.

Floor is in. Put new foam in as well. The deck still needs to be done, then the floors and deck will be painted with "purple haze" with the anti slip additive from Rustoleum. I got two quarts of this with the additive for the same cost as one quart of hurculiner would have. And it is a unique color :D

hopefully posting some tonight when I get home. We have three iPods and my iPhone in the house and I can't find 1 cable. :?

I honestly dont think the foam will be enough to hold her up if I take on a ton of water once fully rigged, but it can't hurt. The rain here is holding me up now, won't dry out enough to paint and we keep getting showers.

Here are some current pics. Only added about 25lbs compared to how it came from the factory. If I look at how much it weighed when I bought it, I actually dropped some weight.

Still need to paint the motor, get a switch panel, install my halogen lights and a trolling motor. She is getting there.

imo60h.jpg

311kimv.jpg

309u35y.jpg