1985 Mercury Classic 50

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

Reaction score
I purchased a 1985 bass tracker tournament tx 17. The boat has the original 1985 Mercury Classic 50. The motor started fine on muffs at the dealer. I boughte the boat, drove it 2 hours home and took it out on the lake. On the lake it went full throttle for about 3 minutes and lost pressure in the bulb and the motor died. I found out it lost pressure after trying to start it again. I think I have leak somewhere. That should be an easy fix and I am not worried about that. I started it back up and it went to go again and the boat revs but the motor wont go. The propeller spinned in idle but did not notice any speed increase with any more power. The motor sounded different almost pingy? or rattly. Do you think it is the Mercury propeller issue or is it lower unit / motor issue? How do I trouble shoot something like this?

Hopefully someone on TinBoats can help you.
I would suggest you try posting your questions on Iboats.com in the Mercury forum.

I put the motor in forward and the prop clicks one way. When I try to turn it the other way it should spin the flywheel. I just get slippage. I give it some torque and it it clicks / slips.

Yea..buying somebody elses problems..

When I buy used which is most of the time I expect to do a total tear down and reassemble. It works for me cause I do it myself. I could not afford to pay someone to do a total teardown. When one buys used and sometimes new that is usually only half the battle.

Maybe the prop is spinning on the hub..

I am feeling cursed. I go to take the lower unit off to see if it is the drive shaft or something in the lower unit. I get the first nut done by the prop. I go to do the two nuts on the sides and I dont have a 16mm wrench. I have the 15mm and the 17mm. Uggg ..... It will have to wait till tomorrow I guess.

I ask again did you check for a spun prop? Mercs will ratchet so...

Just hate to see ya do work if you don't need to...

How do I check for a spun prop? I took the prop off and the splines looked okay. I had a prop that was spun a couple years ago on a 20hp. It would let me idle but then when I went to go faster the engine would rev really high like it was slipping. This time there was a metal clinking / clanking sound to it.

Drained the lower unit oil and there was no oil! Just water in there. I must have burnt up those gears.

You said you bought it from a dealer? I'd get him on the phone first and see what he'll do to set it right.

Dealer has been contacted, but the owner is out elk hunting till next week. So no resolution for a while. It looks like you can get replacement lower units for 350 or so on ebay.

I believe I have a lower unit that will fit that motor if it comes to it - but it's hard to believe that a dealer wasn't aware of that problem and should be responsible.

I went to take the lower unit off and the bolt under the trim tab was completely loose. Would that cause the water to get in to the liwer unit?

No, the only way to access the gear oil is the drain plug. There are seals on the output shaft and the input that either or both have failed. The dealer should have known there was an issue there. No reputable dealer would take a used boat into inventory without checking the lower unit.

Sounds like they may have been in too much of a hurry to get packed and go hunting out West ... loose bolts and no oil, :shock: ouch! Hopefully they'll make it right for you ...

I got a used lower unit off ebay and got it installed. Man those are a pain in the butt to install by yourself. Luckily I found some online posts about using a socket to help turn the shift linkage so it lines up. 4 hours later. The ebay post said it shipped with a new propeller and new lube in lower unit. After this last headache, I changed it my self as soon as it was installed.. What do I do with my other lower unit? Is it worth anything to part it out on ebay?

Give the old lu to the dealer to rebuild when he pays your for the one you bought.

I took the boat out for a couple hours on Sunday and everything worked wonderfully. Cruised up and down the river. Now I just to build some more confidence in the old girl.

Latest posts