Adding Railblaza tracks on an aluminum Jon with round edges?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I have some Railblaza tracks that I had on my plastic boat that I would like to install on my new Alweld. I have lots of accessories already for it. I was thinking of adding aluminum angle along the edge and then mounting the tracks to that, but I'm not sure how that would work. Any ideas?

I think I know what it is but have never used RailBlaza tracks. I assume you want to mount them on the inside of the gunnel?

This is pure skunkworks. If you have access to a table saw, mill a couple of wedge shaped lengths out of HDPE plastic or PVC boards. Affix those to the hull and the brackets to the plastic. I did something similar to have a vertical surface to mount some down rigger brackets. Like this:

Wedge.jpg

To use the Railblaza accessories, I mounted some T track along the inside top extrusion (gunnel) on my former Alumacraft V16. It worked very well.

https://www.tinboats.net/threads/gunnel-track-on-my-alumacraft-v16.50138/
That looks like a cost effective possibility. My concern is that since my boat has round gunnels, I'm not sure if this would work? In your pics it looks like you have flat edges to work with. Do you think these would be sturdy and secure enough on round gunnels? I had considered buying L Channel from Lowe's, attaching that to the gunnel with screws, then mounting the Railboaza or T channel to that. It would certainly be easier if I could get by mounting the t channel to the round gunnels directly. Thoughts?

That looks like a cost effective possibility. My concern is that since my boat has round gunnels, I'm not sure if this would work? In your pics it looks like you have flat edges to work with. Do you think these would be sturdy and secure enough on round gunnels? I had considered buying L Channel from Lowe's, attaching that to the gunnel with screws, then mounting the Railboaza or T channel to that. It would certainly be easier if I could get by mounting the t channel to the round gunnels directly. Thoughts?
Using aluminum angle to get a flat surface doesn't sound bad.

I agree. The angle alum on round gunnel and them T track on flat surface would probably be your best option. I tapped and used machine screws on my install....personal preference.

If you need aluminum look around for an aluminum supplier. Most will sell to the public. Selection, quality and prices are typically much better than the box stores.

Did you bend the t-track slightly? Looks like your gunnel has a light bend in it. Same as mine and I've been looking to do the same.

Which product did you go with for the t-track or is it just some generic one off of Amazon?
Yes, the boat gunnel arcs/bends as it moves towards the bow. The T track was able to bend and follow the gunnel. T Track is generic and was sourced from Amazon. It comes in various colors.

Now, your alum angle will not bend. You'll have to use shorter pieces when you get to the section of the gunnel that arcs/bends.

Yes, the boat gunnel arcs/bends as it moves towards the bow. The T track was able to bend and follow the gunnel. T Track is generic and was sourced from Amazon. It comes in various colors.

Now, your alum angle will not bend. You'll have to use shorter pieces when you get to the section of the gunnel that arcs/bends.
True. Could maybe get away with notching the top side at intervals along the bend too.

I'd have to sit down and think about what I would really use the t-track for. A full length run seems a little excessive for my plans. Off hand, the things I'd like a t-track system for is a place to mount a rear catfish rod rack and a place to mount a bimini top. The flexibility of a t-track mounted bimini sounds so much better than having to drill and place a bunch of different anchor points if you want to change it up some.

Latest posts