Boat full of ice!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeTh_PsE

Reaction score
Well we have a pretty good winter in ohio this year so I got my garage all cleaned and got a new trailer for my boat so I decided to pull the boat in the garage that I had stored outside with a cover and when I pull the cover off there is 6 inches of I've in the boat lol. I got A lot of work I need to do does anyone got any ideas on getting ice out I do not have a heated garage nor do I know anyone thanks for any help

Find somebody that has a kerosene torpedo style space heater. The type like they use on construction sites and such that have a blower on them. I've got one and in about 20 minutes it'll make my 28' by 24' garage with 10' ceiling height 90 degrees inside when the outside temps are single digits.

I've wrapped my radiator and engine block in christmas lights before when my radiator froze solid. It took a long while to thaw out, but if it's that cold, you're not in much of a hurry to get back on the water!

Lol good idea no not I. A hurry to get on water just a lot of stuff to do before then and the way ohio is it will be 60 degrees next week lol thanks for the info

Buy a flamethrower torch that goes on a propane tank or one of those heaters that mounts on the top of a propane tank

Ya that's what I am thinking is going to have to happen and it sucks cause all the wires for my trollers are in ice and wires for light just a all around bad situation lol

I used hot water from the microwave to melt ice in my boat.

1. Hook boat and trailer to tow vehicle;

2. Begin driving

3. Drive only south

4. Some where around the Tennessee / South Caroline Border the ice will be gone

Hay, while you are there go fishing!

Ditto on the salamander or hook your water hose up to the spout on your hot water heater and flush the hull with hot water.

I have a hot air oil burner furnace in my shop, takes about 30 minutes to warm it up nice without the stink of the salamander. The salamander makes working on stuff outside manageable.

Wow, hopefully you don't have any cracks or whatnot as a result of the ice forming (expanding) in the hull, I have always been afraid of that living in IL and having the boat outside. I always raised the bow way up and left the bilge plug out, that helped. Also kept the snow off it as much as I could.
Tim

Old guy here:

Or, you could just leave it alone. If there is damage, it is already done. In all probability, it is fine; just leave it in the garage so no more moisture accumulates, and as the season changes, take out chunks a bit at a time.

Don't let it worry your mind. When I do that, I usually create work for myself, or do some damage in my efforts to address the issue.

Your choice, of course.

Best wishes.

Living where I do (Norway) I'm pretty used to things getting covered in ice and snow. 8)

I agree with Kismet, if you don't have a heated garage just leave it as it is and let the problem work itself out. I guess you have already learned that a cover is a good idea, I use a cheap one supported by a 2X2 to keep it from falling into the boat. Just choose a "slick" sort of cover and make sure the 2X2 makes a proper ^ angle and the snow will slide off by itself.

If you decide to do something, make it a "all or nothing" thing. The ice itself is not a problem, it's when the water freezes you get into trouble since it expands and does so with conciderable force. So if you turn the heat on, make sure you keep it on until all the water is gone.

Ya I can see some of my wires under the ice and can see bare wire and then the clamps and whatnot that should be attached so more than likely going have some wiring to do I trying to find somewhere to store it that is climate control to get it to melt and make sure it's all gone but still no luck thanks for the input