Boat seat - DIY?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kier

Reaction score
Any plans or ideas for DIY boat seat?

I haven't found my seats yet but I am thinking of using a couple of these for pedestals I looked all over the internet for some decent seatboxes and couldn't find any. I am going to give these a shot. If it doesn't work I may use one of those high dollar coolers if I could stand putting holes in it.

Attachments

• pedestal-box-storage-with-seat-4.jpg
    pedestal-box-storage-with-seat-4.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,567
It is an army surplus box, it has to be sturdier than the ones that come on the smaller trackers like the panfish and tadpole right?

So use that for the base and attach a normal boat seat to it?

Thats the plan they are the right height after you attach a swivel. And I like having some storage under the seat

I have access to milkcrates. I thought about using it for the base. Any ideas on a seat back and cushion?

I think the milkcrates would be the right size, I wonder about the strength though? I have sat on some before and I think they flex a bit. What if you added plywood at least to the side you are going to sit on? Or you could attach a piece of plywood to all sides for strength...Or I guess you could just build a box. haha.

I'm actually searching for a way to affix a swivel seat also without using the stock bench seats...I don't like having to pick my feet and legs up and over the bench seat when swiveling around.

I've been using a 36 qt. igloo cooler but it is not affixed to the boat and every time I get up I have to reposition it before I sit back down.

I haven't figured a way to secure the seat box to the boat yet without using something that crosses the width of the boat...and therefore being back to where I started with like the original bench seat.

How would you affix your seat boxes to the boat?...or would you just leave it removable?

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental, NC

I thought i would take a milk crate and put my trolling motor battery in it. Then i was thinking of putting a plywood lid on it. I wonder if i could zip tie one side and then bungee the other to make it work. I thought the 60lb battery would stop it from moving. Now i am trying to think how to make the swivel and the rest of the seat.

I've always thought an upturned 3 1/2 or 5 gallon bucket (depending on how high you want to be) with the handle removed and painted would make a good seat box base for a swivel seat, but then again how would you affix it to the bottom of the boat?

Thank You,

Rod
Oriental

How hard would it be to take a stadium seat or patio chair and mount it to such bases

I think u could use anything rigid enough.

As far as attaching it. I am going to use something that spans the gap of 2 ribs and attach it to the ribs. Or you could attach a plate or piece of wood that spans 5he gap and attach the seat to the plate.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=340601#p340601 said:
Kier » 02 Feb 2014, 23:39[/url]"]How hard would it be to take a stadium seat or patio chair and mount it to such bases

Post a pic of the inside of your boat so we can see what you have to work with.

Here is what I came up with. I plan on putting a trolling motor battery in there and making it my front seat. I am hoping I wont have to attach it to the boat.

Attachments

• 2014-02-04 21.58.04.jpg
    2014-02-04 21.58.04.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,360
  • 2014-02-04 21.59.02.jpg
    2014-02-04 21.59.02.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,360
  • 2014-02-04 21.59.52.jpg
    2014-02-04 21.59.52.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,360
My seats came in today still waiting on the swivels. The height s3ems to be good. I was worried about the boxes being too wide but they are going to work great.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391734661376.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391734661376.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,307
I like it. Where did you get the seats?

I ended up getting them from Walmart.com. These are a little wider than the regular Wise seats I have gotten in the past.

Here is a link

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wise-Boat-Seat-Grey-Charcoal/15135510