Help with trailer and winch setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoolGuy44

Reaction score
Looking for a little help on what the right way to hook this up. My son bought this boat a few weeks ago. The previous owner had a winch with a rope and a pulley but all of that was broken. He had been using a tie down to hold the boat at the front and I bought a new winch but not sure the correct way to mount. I mounted it the way the old one was but it doesn’t seem right. From that angle I need a strap roller mounted up high but that sends the strap the opposite direction which I don’t think will work. From what I’ve read the winch should be level or at least the strap. The bow hook should be under the roller or Y. My bow hook is mounted really high and not sure it can go below the Y. I don’t even know if the Y was original or if it had a roller there. It’s a Lowe boat from 1988. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I never saw a setup like that, are there holes in the winch post which would allow you to move the winch mount up further on it. From your pics., it would appear that a rope/cable would go from the winch to the pulley and then to the bow eye, that may explain why a rope was on the winch instead of a strap and that you may need to install a strap roller in place of the pulley to use it the way it is set up, or just replace the strap with a rope/cable and then use the pulley. From what I'm seeing, it is set up for a rope or cable on the winch and should work that way.

That' a steep angle on the post for the bow eye but the bow eye is also mounted pretty high on the boat. I be the pulley was a later add on. Is it adjustable at all, it doesn't look like it? My trailer has a flatter angle and the height is adjustable so the strap goes under the roller/eye and works well. Maybe try searching around craigslist or FB marketplace and see if there are any trailer parts in your area for cheap to swap out that bow eye post. Here's my setup that I've adjusted after I converted the trailer from rollers to bunk, I had to lower everything.

trailer8.jpg

trailer5.jpg

Yes I already thought about moving the winch up more in line with the hook. The bracket looks like it’s adjustable. My only hold up with doing that is the hook being above the Y rest. I kind of thought it needed to be under. Seems like unloading or loading could be a problem. Won’t it hit the Y support? Or hit it when backing off.

Actually, you could move the bow stop bracket up the winch post.

I think you hit the nail on the head. When I zoom in it looks like that part (circled in red) is bolted to the winch post. Move it up until the bow stop is above the bow eye. Then route the cable/strap under the bow eye.

winch.jpg

Last edited:
Slide the winch mount up a bit, and run the strap under the roller. You want the bow eye UNDER the roller so it does not bounce and damage the boat

I really appreciate all the replies. The winch and bow bracket can be moved. I’m going to get some help to lift the boat and move it up and we’ll see how it goes. Is the preferred method a roller instead of the rubber Y thing?

I don't think it matters if you use the roller or Y stop, my roller doesn't really roll, it just cushions/centers the boat like the Y would do.

I've used both a roller and Y stops, on a V bow, like they say, 6 of 1, half dozen of the other, both serve the same purpose. On my flat bottom Jon, without a V bow, I have a flat carpeted board that goes against the bow that acts as both a stop and a cushion.

Cut up a piece of 4x4 or build something from 2x4's into a custom carpeted bow stop.
Maybe 3D print something.
I use a carpeted 2x4.

Yes I already thought about moving the winch up more in line with the hook. The bracket looks like it’s adjustable. My only hold up with doing that is the hook being above the Y rest. I kind of thought it needed to be under. Seems like unloading or loading could be a problem. Won’t it hit the Y support? Or hit it when backing off.
If you look at the rub marks above the eye it seems at one time it was set up to be above the eye.

Slide the winch mount up a bit, and run the strap under the roller. You want the bow eye UNDER the roller so it does not bounce and damage the boat
... well yea that's ONE reason for the strap under the roller....
living near a ramp I have seen my share of "SNOOTIES"... noses up in the air ..
when the stern goes down during a launch and the strap is above the roller.. ani't purdy...

... well yea that's ONE reason for the strap under the roller....
living near a ramp I have seen my share of "SNOOTIES"... noses up in the air ..
when the stern goes down during a launch and the strap is above the roller.. ani't purdy...
Yeah, especially when the bow rises and the motor's skeg starts grinding concrete while they back down