I'm skeptical... what do you think ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Chris

Reaction score
Okay, so my boat is in the shop {my motor is a 25hp 4 stroke Yamaha} which has blown the gasket around the water jacket twice now. I was hoping that Yamaha would extend the warranty for this 1 problem, since the warranty ends in 7 months.

So, I call Yamaha this morning, and they tell me that based on what the service dealer tells them, > it's my fault that the gasket has blown, because I have not been flushing my motor regularly....

Well ya' know, I use my boat in water which is either pure, clean freshwater, or slough water, which although it is crappy and murky, is anwhere from 100% fresh.... to 95% fresh (in late Summer we have a very small amount of saltwater influx)

However, even if I were to run this boat in 100% pure ocean saltwater, and NEVER flush it, how would this make the water gasket blow ?
I can imagine a lot of problems that this would probably cause, but a blown water jacket gasket is not one of them.
Are they just looking for excuses to not have to not have to extend the warranty on this prior issue ?

Hmmmm....
Your thoughts ?

Fish

This is the first I have heard of a gasket issue with these motors... Yamaha has typically done a good job of standing behind there products. I would suggest talking with your dealer to see if they have in fact given this information to Yamaha.

As far as the salt is concerned, it could eat away at the gasket causing it to weaken and blow. I've heard of that happening before. Sorry for your troubles. Let us know how it turns out.

Chris,
It is time to turn the tables a bit. Explain to them who you are, the website you run, and the multiple websites you frequent. Let them know there are hundreds of concerned forum members who are curious as to how Yamaha plans to handle this unfortunate situation and we are eagerly waiting a positive outcome.

For the members who do not know, Chris is a very accomplished trophy fisherman. Please take a look at some of the whales Chris has caught.

Chris's website Trophy Bass Only

Good luck Chris!

Okay, I'm getting older everyday and my memory begins to fail me, but I distinctly remember Chris talking about some problems with this motor about - what? 3-4 months ago??? Bout time the dealer and/or manufacturer fixed it once and for good... New replacement sounds about right to me........ Good luck Chris... oh, and keep up the trophy fishin' =D>

Tell them to PROVE that flushing it causes that. I would place money on the side that says they can't. You have an advantage, as you have an incredible number of people who respect you, and will really listen to your product reviews. It is like what Jim posted. They better get you fixed, or they have a large red mark by their name, for a lot of people. I am not talking about bad mouthing Yamaha, as they don't seem to be a problem - your dealer is, and one person may or may not have as much impact on the whole company, but your bad experience could be a lot more detrimental to your dealer, if you play your cards right, and you need to let them know that. It is like working with horses, you have to show them that you aren't going to relent, and that you are the one in charge, and then they should cooperate. If not, bad things happen (in the horse situation it usually involves the .357 coming free of the holster :D :shock: ).

and then they should cooperate. If not, bad things happen (in the horse situation it usually involves the .357 coming free of the holster ).

Bassboy.... I am (pleasantly) shocked :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :shock:

Okay now, you guys realize that I never dealt with a "dealer" right ? I got the boat motor and trailer directly from G3 headquarters, as part of a sponsorship. I mean, I got a great deal, but I did pay for it.

I'm thinking that maybe its time I get back to the people who hooked me up with the boat in the first place, so I can tell them what's going on, and what it would take to make me happy.

And I do want to say, this motor (aside from the failed gasket... twice now, and all of the other problems that led to... failed carburator, and thermostat) is normally a great running, fuel efficient motor. The thing will start with frost on top of it, with just a bump of the ignition.

Hmmm.....
Thanks guys,
Will keep you updated,
Fish

It sucks when manufacturers don't want to stand behind their products, especially the expensive ones. Sadly alot of times the only recourse we have is to switch brands. You might try going to the top at Yamaha, not talking to the peons, ask for someone in charge of Customer Service (be sure & write down their name).

A few years ago (when I was still able to trap), I bought 6 new traps of a cheap brand just to play with (I used to repair/modify traps for other guys). I got them home & set one....which promptly flew-apart in my hands (and nearly hit me in the face).

So I took them out to and placed them into the bed of a 90 ton pressbrake, and smashed them all as flat as pancakes......and took pics that I posted all over the internet :twisted:

Also, the sides & rear of the white contractor shell on my truck boldly state in black lettering: "Don't Buy State Farm Insurance", because they screwed me after 30 years of paying premiums (sorry, no pic)........

And yes, I'm a vindictive SOB :mrgreen: I have people all the time standing by my truck when I come out of the store to ask me about it, or to share their stories. I have 70 year-olds honk & wave to me, I always get the "thumbs-up" from people, I've had my picture taken numerous times while driving, I have people poke the person their with & point at my truck....it's pretty funny. Oh, the side of my truck also contains this website:
https://www.badfaithinsurance.org
I'm doing this in order to keep a promise I'd made to Snake Farm in the event they screwed me. I told them until the day I died, I would spread the word about the fact they are 2-faced lying thieves. They also tried to prevent that in court.....and lost :wink:

ST

OHNO.jpg

Latest posts