Old Alumacraft 1236 backwater runner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeratsniper

Reaction score
Several years ago I picked up a used 1236 for $350.00 from a local small dealer. He had replaced the transom & repainted the hull (poorly). It had been sitting in my backyard for a long time. A day job change this year gained me having Saturdays off (after 8 years of Saturdays on the clock). I was bound & determined to get this rig in the water! The biggest problem was locating a trailer, I had brought it home in the back of my truck. I called every dealer in the tri-county area & no one had a used small trailer for sale. New ones were $1000-1200. 3X what I paid for the boat. I finally found a shop that had a beat up small trailer & I ended up giving him $100.00 for it.

The boat was a bare hull when I picked it up, so I insulated between the ribs & added decks made of .25" HDPE (painted khaki with fusion). I wanted to keep the rig light so no wood for me. I have a 8HP Stump-Jumper long-tail mud motor that will go on it for duck season, so I needed a grab bar. I reinforced the mid-deck with a section of 3/16" treadplate & bolted the oh-$hit bar to it. The decks are attached to the ribs via rivet-nuts & stainless buttonhead screws & washers. I added an old milk-crate to the front of the bar with some heavy duty zip-ties.

The trailer was a bit of a longer project...it was a made for a 10" boat & had pieces of PVC pipe for bunks. It was a tilt bed trailer (not for long). The 8' main beam was pretty rusty so I stopped at the local metal dealer & bought a new 10' piece of 3" square tubing. I stripped the bed of the trailer down & went to work on it with the angle-grinder. I welded the new section in solid so it didn't shudder rolling down the road. Welded on some new guide-ons (PVC covered). A trip to Menards netted some "industrial" enamel in black. I purchased a LED submersible light kit & rewired it (pitched the junk scotch-connectors & soldered & shrink-tubed everything, then sheathed it in flex conduit). The bunks and bow stop are an experiment. They're made from PVC 2x4s. I used two 10 footers cut in half, PVC cemented & stainless screwed together). I used stainless fasteners wherever possible. Added new hub assemblies, wheels, reflectors, tongue, winch, safety-chain etc...finally had a decent trailer.

The wife & I finally got it in the water a couple of weekends ago & everything was perfect, we frequent a couple of electric-only lakes so it has the troller on it for now. The longtail will go on it in another month or so for duck season.1236-5.jpg1236-6.jpg1236-7.jpg1236-8.jpg1236.jpg1236-3.jpg

2021 update: Finally decided to go the Steel-Flex route on this old girl. I was actually looking to replace it with a 1242 Alweld or Weldcraft but due to Covid material shortages, there are none to be found. Somewhere in its life it acquired rubberized undercoating, removal was labor intensive (if I ever run across it again, I'll get it sandblasted. The pvc bunks experiment lasted a few years but they're starting to sag, Replacing those will be next on the project list. I'm tossing around gutting the benches & turning them into storage, not quite sure yet...

Attachments

• 1236 steel-flex.jpg
    1236 steel-flex.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 552
  • 1236 stripping 2.jpg
    1236 stripping 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 552
  • 1236 stripping.jpg
    1236 stripping.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 552
After the required 72 hour cure time for the Steel-Flex, I flipped it over & started working on converting the mid bench seat into a storage hatch, the flotation foam was pretty much disintegrated & had turned into a giant mouse nest.
I gutted the old foam & cut down a piece of 1/8 treadplate I had from a previous project. The plate was attached with a stainless piano hinge & rivets. The tin was pretty thin on the old seat, I added some aluminum angle to stiffen it up a bit.
This isn't intended to be watertight storage, just a place for PFDs, FAK, maybe a small tackle box... I'll add a couple of pieces of velco to keep it from rattling.

mid seat mess.jpgmid seat mess 3.jpgseat hatch2.jpg

Got the foamboard & decks back in, strapped the cooler down. Also got around to mounting some stuff I've been meaning to get around to, like the bow cleats and fire extinguisher. I use aluminum rivnuts & S/S bolts & washers for mounting everything.
bow clete.jpgbow clete 2.jpgcooler mt 4.jpg

Great job…. Did the foam in the seats look like that, or was that after you had dug some out?

https://forum.tinboats.net/download/file.php?id=109457&mode=view
I know this is probably a dumb question, but are those through hull fittings and where are they? I can’t make it out from the picture.

Got a few more things done today, added EVA foam to my new storage hatch (cut from rolls sourced from harbor freight). I found that small ammo cans fit perfect in the hatch! Mounted a set of kayak paddle holders for my push-pole (which was the wife's SUP paddle that broke, I bought a small foot for it on amazon & bolted it up with some stainless screws). Picked up a small "milk-crate" from the office section of the local walmart, it now houses my small 5 lb mushroom anchor & rope. Mounted the battery box down to the rear deck (also added a rear deck w/foam last week). Got some stainless flush mounts from epay. Also did the EVA foam in the battery box as a cushion for trailering on gravel roads.

battery hd 2.jpgrear deck.jpgbattery box EVA foam.jpg

Attachments

• push pole mts.jpg
    push pole mts.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 479
  • hatch storage 3.jpg
    hatch storage 3.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 479
The experimental doubled up PVC board bunks from a couple of years ago were starting to sag so they were replaced, fortunately I had some 2x4's in the garage so I didn't have to pay $10+ each for them! Hit those with some Thompsons & let them sit a few days. Added the new carpet & then decided to add fresh pvc boards to them (also had in the garage).

new bunks.jpg

Thanks, I got it back on the trailer tonight (had a tornado come through the area last night, so no work was done). This past Saturday I got a new battery for the troller, the old one was 9 years old & I didn't trust it anymore. Got a die-hard at the local Advanced Auto, the counterman gave me an early fathers day discount & there was a $10 rebate on deep-cycle batteries.

Replacing the hull numbers is next on the list, I've been after the wife for 2 years to cut some new vinyl #'s with her Cricut cutter (still hasn't happened). I'll probably just pick up some throw away stencils & paint some #'s on as I'm tired of asking her. With the drought we're experiencing I'll probably get the mud motor dug out & cleaned up this week & weekend.

1236 2021 update.jpg

Latest posts