Reel Cleaning Out of the Box

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a brand new Revo S still in the box and I was wondering if you guys would suggest cleaning the reel before it gets any use or if it will be good to go straight out of the box. This is really my first piece of good equipment that I didn't pick up at Walmart or a garage sale so I want to take care of it.

Thanks.

It will be clean, but sometimes, well most of the time, the factory puts much more grease than needed and it can hinder the full performance a little.

They do this because they dont know what kind of abuse the reel will go through, and they have warranties and stuff they have to fulfill.

I spool um up with line and go fishing. Once out of twenty or so reels have I needed to take the reel apart and clean it after the initial outing because it didn't feel or operate as expected. With that said, it certainty doesn't hurt anything to clean it first.

If there is any excess grease from the factory, Itll be worn off by the 2nd or 3rd trip. I call it the break-in period. It will perform just fine out of the box, and performance will increase as you use it.

Thanks fellas! I'm going to pick up a cleaning kit this weekend, but I'll focus on the older reels I've got.

nathanielrthomas said:
If there is any excess grease from the factory, Itll be worn off by the 2nd or 3rd trip. I call it the break-in period. It will perform just fine out of the box, and performance will increase as you use it.
Exactly, Shimano reels are notorious for being overlubed and they'll usually perform a bit better over time.

Latest posts