Replacing Transom found a crack

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinhead1986

Reaction score
I’m replacing the Transom in my 14 ft MirroCraft and i’ve just found a crack at the bottom of one of the holes where the bolts go through to bolt the transom to back of the boat inside the hull . Looks like the last owners over tightened the bolts and now there’s a crack at one of the bolt holes. How should i fix this the crack goes all the way through the back aluminum skin . I was thinking of drilling a small hole at the bottom of the crack to stop it from spreading and sandwiching checker plate with 4200 or 5200 to the back with closed end rivets

Also in the near future i’m putting in a check plate floor . is it a good idea to drill through the side of the hull to add Aluminium angle brackets for the floor framing. I’m worried with how much a boat flex’s that i will have problems with rivets tearing through the side of the hull . Should i do that and can I use closed end rivets

Last edited:
here’s the crack

Attachments

• 24C911F5-DCBB-434B-82A9-EFE6E95DBFF6.jpeg
    24C911F5-DCBB-434B-82A9-EFE6E95DBFF6.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2
What about drilling a small hole at end of crack and then use brazing rods to fill in crack .
Be careful when brazing an aluminium boat, heat can make it buckel. And it can end up being worse. This happened To me.