trailer bunks for flat bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joho5

Reaction score
ok guys I got a trailer for my flatbottom, but its set up a bit weird. It has rollers in the middle, but the two metal braces sticking up for the bunks on the outside bottom are set up to take a 2x4 bunk, but in the upright position and not the flat position. In other words when i set the bunks in the cradle they will be sitting up with the 2 inches part touching the boat. is this a problem? remember it has rollers in the middle for stability as well, but the outside bracing will be set up like this with the bunks upright. and my boat is a 15' flat bottom. any ideas, comments are welcome.

thanks

The 14'er I just got has 2 in the rear of course, but no rollers at all, just 1 more 2X4" setting crossways at the front. Looks like a simple way to me.

ST

A friend of mine has a 1542 rig, and his trailer bunks sit on edge as you describe, with no middle support (rollers) for the keel, and he has had no problems. I've also seen other trailers with the bunks on edge.

Should be alright;how big of an outboard do you have and do you use a transon saver?

I have found that with flatbottoms especially, full length bunks, or at least from the transom up to where the bow slopes up, are a definite help. Now, as far as width, it won't make much of a difference as far as loading is concerned, just will give you half as much overall support in the long run. That is your decision.

Latest posts