Transom corrosion holes on used Grumman Jon Boat 10'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I'm a new member. Already have a 16' Grumman Owasco with 50hp Honda.
Considering buying an aluminum 10' Grumman Scout Jon boat to put-put around and fish with grand sons.
Has some holes in transom just below the attached wood which is warped in center.
All holes are above the waterline. Transom and rest of boat is otherwise solid.
With a 3.5 hp, would I be able to get a year or two of use for me and my grandsons occasionally fishing in calm waters?
Should I repair these holes if I buy it, not buy it, or is it fine for casual fishing with a 3.5 HP?

Thanks.

If you mean you literally see corrosion that has penetrated all the way through the transom skin, then I am skeptical. If the holes are leftover from screws or bolts, then an easy fix.

Purely out of curiosity, your Grumman Owasco seems like an awesome boat and great with a couple youngsters. Why go for a 10 footer?

Thanks Ldubs. To have a pond / beach launch by carrying down or hand dolly without having to drive to boat ramp with trailer etc...
I've attached photos for clarity... I think they left it stored upright with plug in- so rainwater sat inside her for periods.Scout damage 1.jpgScout damage 2.jpgScout damage 3.jpgScout damage 4.jpgScout damage 5.jpgScout damage 1.jpg

Looks like someone put pressure treated wood as the transom. Pull the old wood and see how bad the damage is.

Hope the kids are little !! Sounds like an overload with a 3 hp motor, an adult and a couple grandkids. After replacing the transom wood maby a little 1.5 or 2 up and one kid with an adult at most. I have a 12' Jon and a 2.2 hp two stroke
( 30 lbs) and that with two adults is about max....weight

Even if the goal is to just get a couple seasons out of it, I think I would keep looking. Too bad, because the rest of the boat looks decent in the pics.
Thanks. I have a 2.5hp to match. Whats the worst that can happen if I put the 2.5 on the transom as is just for pond / close by / calm day fishing only? The transom is solid even with the holes.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a 2.5hp to match. Whats the worst that can happen if I put the 2.5 on the transom as is just for pond / close by / cal day fishing only? The transom is solid even with the holes.
Pull the transom wood see how bad it is. Clean up all of the corrosion. Make one big patch and stick it on with 3M5200 and rivets. Install new transom wood.

Last edited:
Before you pull the old transom wood give the bow in the transom a few hits with a hammer.

Thanks. I have a 2.5hp to match. Whats the worst that can happen if I put the 2.5 on the transom as is just for pond / close by / cal day fishing only? The transom is solid even with the holes.

That is certainly an option. I'm just saying what I would do because you asked. Doesn't mean it is the only way to go, and who knows, I could be all wet (haha). BTW, if you do proceed, I think @lckstckn2smknbrls gives some excellent advice in the preceding two posts.

If you decide to move forward, please keep sharing the project. A lot of us enjoy watching the progress. Kind of like watching "This Old House" except it is "This Old Boat".

I'm cheap. Use whatever I have lying around. If it needs redone in 20 years I won't lose any sleep over it. Just redid a transom on a 12 footer using 2 layers of 1/2" CDX, stain, and polyurethane. Only cost was the carriage bolts I used to hold it all together and no, I didn't use stainless. Not putting $100 worth of fasteners into a $200 boat. Just trying to make it look decent and make it lake ready. The last guy used regular fasteners too. I think most people do. It's your boat though and your wallet. Feel free to spend as much time and money on it as you like.

Personally I'd leave it where it is, find something better but if you must, pits can be filled with JB Weld.

Grumman, Lowe, and Sea Nymph all had issues with rotted transoms over the years. Mainly in the later 80's and the 90's models. They used pressure treated plywood and it ate the aluminum pretty bad. I had an '88 16ft that was pretty badly rotted, a 1988 Sea Nymph aluminum bass boat that was rotted to the point it needed metal replaced on both upper corners of the transom and it had a butt load of holes all around the sides where the floor met the hull. I patched it, got it seaworthy and sold it. It wasn't worth putting any more of my time into.

I'd also find at least a 12ft boat, the 10ft is likely only rated to hold two small kids at best.
Its an accident waiting to happen. I had that same boat in 12ft and with just me in it I didn't feel it was safe with the weight of me, trolling motor and battery. I can't imagine the 10ft being anywhere close to enough boat for a grown man and two kids, plus any sort of gear or motor.

Latest posts