Do trailer couplers require hardened bolts ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
I recently replaced my coupler with a larger one, 2.5" wide, 2,000 lb. maximum. I used two 3/8" galvanized bolts to mount to tongue. Are those strong enough, or should I use hardened bolts instead? Thanks.

Any idea what grade a normal galvanized bolt is? The hardened bolts I just used for something else on the trailer were grade 8.

I don't think the ones the trailer companies use are hard but take one to a hareware and have them look at the bolt head and they can tell you. If you feel safer with hardned ones use them cannot hurt. Just use grade 5 or grade 8 whatever you want.

Andy Taylor said:
Any idea what grade a normal galvanized bolt is? The hardened bolts I just used for something else on the trailer were grade 8.

No Markings Grade 2 Low or medium carbon steel

3 Radial Lines Grade 5 Medium Carbon Steel, Quenched and Tempered

6 Radial Lines Grade 8 Medium Carbon Alloy Steel, Quenched and Tempered

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx/

I would not run grade 8.Grade 6 is plenty good.

Grade 8 is too hard & will break not bend.I want my tongue bolts to bend if they're going too not break.

crazymanme2 said:
I would not run grade 8.Grade 6 is plenty good.

Grade 8 is too hard & will break not bend.I want my tongue bolts to bend if they're going too not break.

Oops. I just bolted on a sleeve to extend my tongue, and used grade 8 hardened bolts. Was that a mistake?

you really have to abuse your trailer in the worst possible ways to snap a bolt on your coupler.if you bust a grade 8 bolt,your trailer and boat are already toast :lol:

bcbouy said:
you really have to abuse your trailer in the worst possible ways to snap a bolt on your coupler.if you bust a grade 8 bolt,your trailer and boat are already toast :lol:

Yup... I use Grade 8 for everything.. Mostly because I get them for free!! At work, it's all we use.

I never had a bolt break, or bend etc if it was properly ( read: not over-torqued) installed.

a 3/8" bolt requires thousands of pounds of force to shear. I wouldn't use a grade 8 bolt on one, but definetly a grade 5. I also wouldnt want a hardened bolt, because it will be more brittle than a normal bolt.

Thanks everyone. I'm just going to leave the galvanized bolts in. I have no idea what grade they are, I bought them at Menards.

GYPSY400 said:
bcbouy said:

Yup... I use Grade 8 for everything.. Mostly because I get them for free!! At work, it's all we use.

I never had a bolt break, or bend etc if it was properly ( read: not over-torqued) installed.

I recently extended my trailer tongue with a sleeve, and used grade 8 hardened bolts. What would the proper torque be? I snugged them down good, but I didn't go nuts with them. Thanks.

Andy Taylor said:
GYPSY400 said:
bcbouy said:

I recently extended my trailer tongue with a sleeve, and used grade 8 hardened bolts. What would the proper torque be? I snugged them down good, but I didn't go nuts with them. Thanks.

It depends on the diameter of the bolt.. You can google a torque chart to find out what they should be torqued to.

Whoa, I think we need to back up a bit here.
Lower grade bolts will bend and snap before the grade 8 will bend.

Grade 2 will snap at 74,000 psi, while grade 8 is 150,000 psi. Grade 2 will deform at 55,000psi while grade 8 will deform at 120,000psi.
Grade 2 bolts will bend and snap before grade 8 will deform.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx/

Stick to the grade 8 hardware.