Need a new spinning reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
Lost my favorite Falcon 6' rod a couple weeks ago. It had a Pflueger President #25 reel on it spooled with Tatsu 4lb. Great setup for what I do. I was fishing the local lake and the fish were slow, decided to try another spot. They were slow there too but at least got a few here & there. Well I baited another rod (the falcon) at a different depth and went with it. Pretty soon it took off, went over the side and I watched it slowly head toward the bottom. It disappeared about 10' down and that was the last I saw of it.

Anyway I picked up a 6'6" trout slayer rod from Leland's (UL/fast) and like it. However, the reel that is on it leaves a LOT to be desired. It's an OLD shimano spinning reel, spooled with 8lb mono. I got it used. The old Falcon came from Goodwill of all places; this one came from a yard sale. Reel and all.

What's out there? Freshwater....ultralight, typically stay with 4 or 6 lb. Vertical jigging for crappies and occasionally use them for trout on the local streams. Not looking to spend more than $100! Y'all got any recommendations?

Exactly the reel you had previously is the one I was gonna recommend.
But on a budget of $100 you can get the President XT - it is extra awesome and you'll still be under budget. Size 20 is my favorite for panfish and size 25 for bass and trout.

I also like the Pflueger Summit XT available at Cabela's.

Check out six gill reels. $40 is a bargain.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If you’re wanting to stay with Pfleuger I would check out the Supreme. It’s right at $99 and has upgraded components compared to the President.
My three main reels are a Supreme, Daiwa BG and Stradic FK. The Supreme and BG are both excellent with a slight nod to the BG because it feels stronger dragging LMB through weeds and lily pads.
I also have 5 Presidents that have treated me well but are starting to wear out, feel rough and the spools are starting to wobble. I’m slowly replacing them with Daiwa BGs - only because i receive a monthly coupon that saves me $25 for purchases over $100.

Check out the Shimano FX series. Tackle Direct has them for around $15. I have six of them. No ball bearings but still pretty smooth.
Great for panfish and trout

For what you are describing check out the Shimano Sienna 500FD, pretty good reel for the price.