Best outfit online to order a outboard ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Hudson

Reaction score
Need something trustworthy..
I know there's places on the web that'll rip you off..
Who's reliable and honest?

Local dealer that can service it if you have a problem.
I'm with airshot. IF there's a local dealer that services the brand you buy, they're not going to want to touch it. After all, you didn't trust them enough to buy locally, but you expect them to service it?

Buy local, pay the few extra bucks, and get a relationship going that just might treat you pretty doggone good.

Roger

When I bought my Merc 20HP in 2021, I looked at onlineoutboards.com and local. There was practically no price difference between local and online purchase.

I was also looking at Tohatsu then. But...the nearest Tohatsu dealer was 200 miles away while the Merc dealer is a 20 minute drive from the house.

When I bought my Merc 20HP in 2021, I looked at onlineoutboards.com and local. There was practically no price difference between local and online purchase.

I was also looking at Tohatsu then. But...the nearest Tohatsu dealer was 200 miles away while the Merc dealer is a 20 minute drive from the house.

And Tohatsu builds the Merc so buy the Mrec local like I did....

Look for a reliable dealer with a good reputation instead of a reliable online seller who never touches the engine. You will establish a relationship with that dealer who will then help you if you ever need it.

I have ordered two from onlineoutboards and they are great. Best price and easy shipping.
As long as you don't have any issues they can be great. How much of a gambler are you ?? If you survey the customer complaints on motors, far more issues with service after the sale than with motor issues themselves !! Same goes for lawn mowers and most other expensive engine tools.

I like the idea of buying local, so don't get me wrong here. I'm not sure I'm following this. When it comes to getting service, what is the difference from buying a motor on line or from a private party. I can see possibly getting some preferential treatment being a direct customer, but can't imagine being boycotted. Maybe this is more of an issue for new motors needing warranty work?

Last edited:
Maybe this is more of an issue for new motors needing warranty work?
That's what I was thinking when I made my first response. If I were a dealer, and somebody brought an online purchase in, expecting warranty work, I'd be in no great hurry to accommodate them. Warranty work doesn't pay the monetary value that it should, and I made no profit from a sale, so there's a loss for me, instead of any profit to feed myself or family with.

Just business.....Roger

There is no tohatsu dealers near me..
Three mercury dealers.
Not one of them carried the smaller motors.
Yes.. I had to drive 150 miles one way , to buy my motor.
In Saint James...
He also traded with me ..for my old motor. (The only dealer who would trade me)
Which really helped on the final price.
My son is a certified mercury mechanic.
He says the smaller , (under 30hp) tohatsus..
Are identical to the mercurys..
So I think I'll be ok.

That's what I was thinking when I made my first response. If I were a dealer, and somebody brought an online purchase in, expecting warranty work, I'd be in no great hurry to accommodate them. Warranty work doesn't pay the monetary value that it should, and I made no profit from a sale, so there's a loss for me, instead of any profit to feed myself or family with.

Just business.....Roger
When I bought my Tohatsu 9.8 I tried two local dealers and they both said they can't match the online prices so they don't even stock them. But they're happy to work on them if ever needed. I even offered to pay them what they needed to make a profit and they weren't interested. I found it weird but one of them was honest enough to say he'd just order from Online Outboards and then mark it up and he didn't feel right doing that. Above 20hp it was worth it but the smaller portables weren't.

According to my local marina/ dealer the small motors are available but not much markup, it is the big motors that are in demand and short supply. Boat mfgrs and places like Cabelas and BP buy them up as fast as they are produced !
My dealer has a waiting time of 6 months to a year delivery time on the high HP engines......someone has money to spend !!

According to my local marina/ dealer the small motors are available but not much markup, it is the big motors that are in demand and short supply. Boat mfgrs and places like Cabelas and BP buy them up as fast as they are produced !
My dealer has a waiting time of 6 months to a year delivery time on the high HP engines......someone has money to spend !!
Yes. Now that you mention it, availability was also an issue they mentioned and again, it was Online Outboards and Tohatsu Direct that my guy said buys them all up. Because the Cabela's in these parts never have them in stock.

Latest posts