My New 1448 Flat Bottom Project.

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
SaltyBuckster

My New 16' Flat Bottom Project.

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Nice motor there Sarge.Would be perfect for the limited horse power lakes up north.
"Panfish Slayer" and the occasional "Green Carp"
My 14' Flat Bottom Project!

Sea Nymph Striper CC-191 (Reborn)

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Got some more done today on Project X , lol.Got the front inside painted to the center bench.Got all the carpet glue out of the entire inside of the boat,Hurray !!What a pain.By Sunday night the whole inside will be done painted.The outside is already sanded.Just waiting on my "Lab Metal" to fix the gouges and tears and then some self etching primer, then to the water to check for any more leaks before painting the outside and starting the mods.Here are some pics of what happened today.
Front inside painted
Center and rear glue removed and sanded
Here's the nastyness on the rear bench.Still figuring the best way to fix this up.Any suggestions ??

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Here's the front deck area.I stripped the edge down to bare metal and primed and painted the edge.I'm going to extend the deck back to the rib further back for support.It will probably extend it back about another foot and a half.It's going to be all made of aluminum.No Wood.
That's why I did'nt paint the deck.
Now,fix the rear bench,paint the rest of the inside and fix the cracks.Then into the water to check for any other leaks.It's almost a boat again.The paint that I used for the inside is Rustoleum Camo Green.It looks better in person.I like it.

DaveInGA

Post by DaveInGA »

azslabber wrote:Image
Here's the nastyness on the rear bench.Still figuring the best way to fix this up.Any suggestions ??
Here's a couple:

1. Cut out the beat up torn section as a square and replace it with a fresh piece of aluminum. Weld the new piece in and sand smooth.

2. Work the old metal flat and smooth as much as possible, weld it up, then cover the entire bench with a fresh piece of aluminum.

3. Install a deck with fresh metal over the old section and weld it in.

4. Remove the bench leaving enough on the edges to attach framing to. Build up a rear deck with framing and storage to replace the bench seat. You could build in fuel storage, some switches/fuses/wiring and insure your flotation is up to snuff. Use whatever portion of the original bench metal that's good in the new construction.

Of the four options, I'd probably do number four if I owned the boat.
Dave In Georgia
My Bass Tracker Tournament V-17 Restoration/Mod: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=15343

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Thanks,one of the 4 for sure.I'm taking the day off today from the boat.But,still doing some planning for tomorrow.That is pretty much the only thing that has to be fixed to get it in paint.Then the inside will be painted.After that is done,back on the trailer and finishing it up.Pretty much just painting,redoing the bunks,then putting it all back together with the new wheels and tires.I think that it is going black with the upright guides in the back being yellow.That's my plan anyway,lol.I have to weld a step in the rear in front of the tire so I can get up into it easier.I do have 2 prostetic legs.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Got some more done today.Repaired the rear bench by repairing the bent up stuff from the inside,drilled 1/8 " hioles at the ends of all the cracks in the aluminum to stop the cracking,ground it all down then rivited on a new piece of thicker aluminum.I etch primed the top of the bench and also the new piece of aluminum that I installed so the primer would be face to face.
I also sanded and painted the front deck because it bothered me.lol.
I really like the way it is coming out.Heck it looks like a new boat.
I painted the guides Fl. Yellow.Getting ready to go to the trailer next.Black trailer with the Fl. yellow guides on the back and black carpeted bunks.Getting better every trip that I do something to it.I like it,ALOT !!

RBuffordTJ

Post by RBuffordTJ »

This is a great project.

Bufford

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Bufford I took a look at the work that you did on your tinny.Very nice.It made me decide to do the bottom of mine in the Steelflex.I have a couple little tears that I will be fixing tomorrow with the Lab Metal that will be here today.Just have to decide on a color.Thinking OD Green for mine.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

I had to change my boat thread title after measuring it.The title on the boat says unknown and after seeing this I went to measuring it up.I thought that it looked like a short 16 foot,lol.Changed all of my outboard hunting.Of course the 15 hp Johnson passed me by while lookimng for a 25,what an idiot I am at times.
Last edited by SaltyBuckster on 17 Nov 2010, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Got a lot done today.Inside is all painted.No more glue or sanding between rivits and ribs.I'm almost ready to start doing some mods to this boat.
This is the Lab Metal that I was talking about.Came UPS yesterday.Did'nt know how it would act.But was very pleased.Very easy to apply and I made a special tool to apply inside the ribs.I took 3 paint sticks and glued them together.Vise gripped them for an hour or two,then I sanded them down with 80 grit to form and bevel to fit perfectly inside the rib.
Inside all done.I love it.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Here's a couple more.
I have the Lab Metal on the outside with the boat flipped over for about the 50th time.It should be ready for primer tomorrow,then a trip to the lake to put it in the water and make sure there are no more leaks before I paint it.Enjoy,I am.

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 »

Wow, you raised that tin from the dead. It looks great. Also, I never heard of lab metal. I'm curious to know how the water test goes. Great thread.
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

lbursell

Post by lbursell »

A lot of people would have been scared off from that rear bench. Great job on the repair.
Resurrecting A 1652 MonArk
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=16589

I've grown used to doing stupid things, I just try not to have witnesses.

SaltyBuckster

Post by SaltyBuckster »

Thanks.I used to repair Lexus and Jaguars in my time.Was'nt going to let an aluminum boat scare me,lol.I like the boat better then any high priced cars that I ever worked on before.It should be water tight right now.I have to try it out.Heck,I've never had a boat this long without snagging up some gills with it.I'm thinking a maiden voyage on Sunday before I paint the outside.Going to see how hard it is to sand the "Lab Metal" today and use the rest of it up.Don't want it drying up on me before I get it on the boat.It just air dries without any hardner.Keep your fingers crossed,lol.It says that it can be tap and dyed and even powder coated.Miracle stuff.I hope.

FishingBuds

Post by FishingBuds »

Looken great, its gonna be better than brand new when your done with it :D
2TIM 4:7 I Have Fought the Good Fight, I Have Finished the Race, I Have Kept the Faith.

My "1973" 1436 custom jon link!