Evinrude Simplex Control Repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenserpvt

Reaction score
Just picked up a 14’ Duratech aluminum boat with a 1962 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp outboard. Needs some TLC, but couldn’t wait to get it on the water to test it out.

The throttle control rack (Evinrude Simplex 2-lever) broke almost immediately. I was still able to pull the throttle cable with the lever to close the throttle, but was unable to open the throttle (could not push the cable) with the lever. See the photo below with the brass barrel showing on the left side of the rack.
DD6E76CE-AD93-4337-98AD-1346BFED2C36.jpeg

After spending a good bit of time searching online, I was unable to find a replacement for this part. Not wanting to replace the entire assembly at this time, I figured out a quick fix that might be useful to someone else in my situation. I simply drilled a new 1/4” hole for the brass barrel a little further from the broken end (see photo below. “Repaired” rack is on the right). Though I have not yet taken the boat out again, I seem to still have full motion from throttle open to throttle closed. I lubricated the cables while I was at it.

932EBCF1-A2ED-4DAA-967B-2CE70A9A3D82.jpeg

I hope this is useful to someone! Looking forward to browsing this forum more as I clean up this sweet little boat.

BB756106-0C54-4055-9C50-9654C795F947.jpeg

I've never really looked at how these work. I was able to follow your explanation. Thanks for sharing. I hope it holds up for you.

I do have one question. You show two in the pic. Where did the other one come from? (someone had to ask, haha)

BTW, that is a nice looking rig.

The second rack is for the gearshift- forward, neutral, reverse. I plan to use that intact one as a reference for my techie friend to 3D print some spares, since they seem hard to come by.

Thank you! It’s my first gas-powered boat. Excited to spruce it up and put some hours on it!

The second rack is for the gearshift- forward, neutral, reverse. I plan to use that intact one as a reference for my techie friend to 3D print some spares, since they seem hard to come by.

Thank you! It’s my first gas-powered boat. Excited to spruce it up and put some hours on it!

3D printing. Hadn't thought of that. Great idea to get some extras.