Reed's 1542 Alumacraft Swamp Sled.

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
reedjj

Post by reedjj »

I replaced the 1x3 with some more 2x2 and got rid of the little piece of plywood in the bottom pic and put a big piece in to cover the entire aft portion of the deck. I used the brackets and its really sturdy.

I also cut a piece of scrap 1/4" ply to fit the top of the deck. Im going to use it as a template for the 15/16th ply Im going to use for decking. I am going to split the deck where the two 2x2's are close together and install some hinges. That way I will be able to access my 2 batteries that are going to sunken into the plywood decking on the floor. I am going to get a battery box tomorrow and trace out the outline and cut 2 holes in the floor decking to sink them into. It will hold them in place and keep everything nice and neat.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

I finished building the front deck. I got it sealed with 2 coats of spar urethane too. Im gonna wait till the weather improves this weekend to put a couple coats of paint on it. Here are a couple pics I took. Its going to make a nice place to store/mount 2 batteries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ccrich

Post by ccrich »

Noob question: Whats the purpose of the FOAM?

Thanks

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

I used it primarily to help deaden or quiet the sound of feet, plywood, and water slapping on the boat hull. It also helps to add support to the plywood floor because the foam is dead even with the ribs. I don't think it helps with any floatation at all.

I know the benches are filled with foam from the factory and help with floatation in case of "swamping" or flipping.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

Hopefully the weather will cooperate with me today and I can get the front deck painted. Last night it was too cool and its been rainy the past few days. Supposed to be nice this weekend though.

Now its time to start shopping for a nice aluminum side console. I know Alumacraft sells them but only through thier dealers. Does anyone know of a website that sells side consoles for small alum boats. I remember seeing a link somewhere but cant seem to find it now.

DuraCraft

Post by DuraCraft »

Good job, reed - and, you got it right in the post title - SWAMP SLED! I love that! And, when you said you almost got carried away and if you wanted a bass boat, you should have bought one in the first place, is right on! Keeping it fairly simple is the key. In my opinion, you can really enjoy it more that way. And, right, you have a great swamp sled there!
Coffee and water mix real good...
I ain't the slickest eel in the crick.
I like >))))))):> Ummm good.
You are = you're, i.e., You're doing a good job.
Your = possessive, i.e., That is your boat.
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken". Command Sargeant Major J.D.

Sayre32

Post by Sayre32 »

Looks good man. You are moving right along.

beamer1

Post by beamer1 »

Good job: 2 prob's I"d be worried 'bout,front hatch width/depth ratio w/o center support & hinge material grade(ss,galv,abs) but YOU ARE DOING A KILLER JOB! Epoxy paint seals foam w/o melting it, makes it like a surfboard.If I could epoxy my wife I could float her to .... I'M in deep sh>>>>>>>>>>now peace out.LOLLLLLLLLLL

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

Thanks guys.

beamer,

I used regular hinges for exterior home door use. They felt like they were coated with some kind of clear coat. The package did not say galvanized or stainless though. Plus I put two coats of Polyurethane on them before I installed them and then once they were installed I coated them and the deck with 1 more coat of spar urethane, and then couple coats of paint. They won't last forever but they will last a while. At least untill I get the nerve to cut the center seat out and make it a center console lol.

After I installed the deck and walked around on it last night the hatch was plenty sturdy but i could feel it bow a little so I took your advice and put a support right down the center. Its plenty sturdy now!

I also attempted to make a side console out of plwood and 2x2's but It aint gonna happen. I got it built but it looked junky so I scrapped it.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

painted front deck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

Here is the pic of the support I added under the front deck hatch. I should be able to fit the batteries right in on either side with room to spare.

I also widened the driver and passenger seats a little bit. They were too close to the center. I was barely able to fit one foot between them to get to the back deck. Now there is plenty of room.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

View from the front with the seats moved to the outside a little.

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

diabolic ben wrote:I bought a 12/36 2 days ago. I think I will follow suit on that back deck. How will you run a tiller motor from those two seats? This is my 1st boat. Sorry if it's a stupid question. Do you think it would be bad to put my TM on that back deck? My 10 yr. old son will be fishing up front and I really don't want him running the TM.

I have ran a tiller style trolling motor from the rear of a boat several times. I prefer it to the bow mount. You should be fine.

jcabarrusjr

Post by jcabarrusjr »

reedjj the boat looks good man. Nice job. I couldn't help but notice the devil dog flad in the background and just wanted to say SEMPER FI. Just hit 10 yrs in the Marine Corps

reedjj

Post by reedjj »

Semper Fi. Halfway there dude. I have 15 months till I go on terminal. Im doing my extension and retirement paperwork this week. 20 years goes pretty quick.