New Jon Rebuild/Conversion Build Thread COMPLETED! 4-30-12

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
wcbond4

New Jon Rebuild/Conversion Build Thread

Post by wcbond4 »

JamesM56alum wrote:Awesome man looks great

Thanks man!

I got the new winch strap and new bow stop put on the trailer last night. Today Ill be flipping boat back on the trailer so I can finish out the inside.

I've been trying to think how I could wire my TM without spending a ton on wiring. Found an old 10 or 8 gauge extension cord that's missing an end...it will be perfect!

Dockside85

Post by Dockside85 »

wcbond4 wrote:

Thanks man!

I got the new winch strap and new bow stop put on the trailer last night. Today Ill be flipping boat back on the trailer so I can finish out the inside.

I've been trying to think how I could wire my TM without spending a ton on wiring. Found an old 10 or 8 gauge extension cord that's missing an end...it will be perfect!
How long after spraying do you have to let it sit before you can flip it? I want to get my steelflex done but I have to put 6 rivets through the hull so I'm waiting do it until after the rivets are in so it will seal over them well. Getting itchy to get it on there already.

I'm also looking for a trolling motor wire to go from the front to the battery in the middle of the back bench. Hadn't thought of an extension cord! Cheapest spools on Amazon with Prime are like $20 each. I've also heard of guys cutting the handles off of 10 gauge jumper cables and using those. The bundle would be thick, but well insulated!

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Dockside85 wrote:
wcbond4 wrote:

Thanks man!

How long after spraying do you have to let it sit before you can flip it? I want to get my steelflex done but I have to put 6 rivets through the hull so I'm waiting do it until after the rivets are in so it will seal over them well. Getting itchy to get it on there already.

I'm also looking for a trolling motor wire to go from the front to the battery in the middle of the back bench. Hadn't thought of an extension cord! Cheapest spools on Amazon with Prime are like $20 each. I've also heard of guys cutting the handles off of 10 gauge jumper cables and using those. The bundle would be thick, but well insulated!
I'm not sure about the steel-flex, but it would probably depend on the humidity in your area. Right now we are at about 90-100% so I let mine sit for 2 days. You gotta remember too, just because it feels dry to the touch..doesn't mean its dry all the way through. Light handling wouldn't hurt it, but letting it set on the trailer might make lines in the bottom of your hull.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about jumper cables..but I do have a bad set of those too! I'm starting to think all my hording might just pay off.

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Got the tin back on the trailer!

Figured out I'm going to have to reconfigure my bump stop AGAIN! Grrr.

I guess thats why you should adjust your trailer when you still have your boat on it! I got everything too low and my bump stop hits my eye bolt!

Dockside85

Post by Dockside85 »

Looks awesome man! I'm debating on whether I want to paint my trailer or just leave it the bare galvanized metal. If I did paint it I wouldn't know what color to do.

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Dockside85 wrote:Looks awesome man! I'm debating on whether I want to paint my trailer or just leave it the bare galvanized metal. If I did paint it I wouldn't know what color to do.

I had actually debated the same thing...then I realized how long it was going to take to get every bit of rust and paint off of mine...so I painted it! :D

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

WELL....

For anyone whos interested...I think I'm going to scrap the deck idea. At least for now :?

I started laying it out...decided it was more than I wanted to deal with right now. AND I think when the time comes...I'd rather do it with aluminum anyway. Was going to use wood for cost.

All thats left to do now is to

finish sanding the interior
paint interior
install aerator and bilge
install seat brackets
install fish finder and TM
build live well seat
adjust trailer set up
THEN GO FISHING!

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Got the inside finished up!

Dockside85

Post by Dockside85 »

Is that sprayed with Raptor also? Looks good!

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Yeah its Raptor. I bought carpet...then screwed it up :shock:

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Finally got everything painted! The only thing I was lacking after Sunday night was the gunnels. Got those taped and painted last night!

Did a little maintenance on the motor last night. Plugs, impeller, gear case oil.

Now I get to start the fun stuff. Got all my wires run for my TM, depth finder and lights. Now I gotta hook em all up. I gotta install a storage bin, my battery box, gas tank and seats.

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Well...

since my last update I picked up 2 19x19" x .125 aluminum diamond plate supports for my pedestal seats. Got them for 10 bucks a piece! Also got a mounting plate for my TM for another 10 bucks.

Got everything installed and mounted! Got the boat cleaned up and ready to.mount my outboard. Sorry i don't have any pics..wife kicked me out. Will get some soon!

Dockside85

Post by Dockside85 »

wcbond4 wrote:Well...

since my last update I picked up 2 19x19" x .125 aluminum diamond plate supports for my pedestal seats. Got them for 10 bucks a piece! Also got a mounting plate for my TM for another 10 bucks.

Got everything installed and mounted! Got the boat cleaned up and ready to.mount my outboard. Sorry i don't have any pics..wife kicked me out. Will get some soon!

Sounds like you've been finding some good deals! Excited to see new pics soon. By the way if you are still looking for an option for a trolling motor extension wire I found a subwoofer amplifier installation kit on Amazon with a 20' 10 gauge power wire in it. Got it for $7 with free shipping through Amazon Prime! From where my battery is 20' will be more than enough to cut it in half and use one for power and one for ground. Here's the link if you or anyone else is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002UPGOI

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Here are the updated pictures!

wcbond4

Post by wcbond4 »

Dockside85 wrote:
wcbond4 wrote:Well...

Sounds like you've been finding some good deals! Excited to see new pics soon. By the way if you are still looking for an option for a trolling motor extension wire I found a subwoofer amplifier installation kit on Amazon with a 20' 10 gauge power wire in it. Got it for $7 with free shipping through Amazon Prime! From where my battery is 20' will be more than enough to cut it in half and use one for power and one for ground. Here's the link if you or anyone else is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002UPGOI
Thats a good deal on that wire!

I ended up using my old extension cord. Working pretty good thus far!