14' Lund -- My Build Thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Clark

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This boat has been a nearly four year journey to this point. In my thread about trailer work, I offered up that I might submit a build thread that spanned several years; a number of forum members indicated they would be interested in seeing it. This thread is that build process.

This boat is my first boat. I bought it in May 2020, two months after I retired, as the Pandemic was turning our world upside down. I wanted to fish more, and I wanted a boat for small and medium sized lakes; that boat needed to be easily handled by me alone, and I had NO experience launching or recovering a boat, ever.

Disclaimer: I offer up my example as ONE way to do things. It’s not necessarily the best or easiest. Some solutions I found on YouTube, other solutions came from inquiries here. Some solutions, like a new outboard and new electronics only needed cash to get done. Other solutions like new decks, seat mounts, and a solution for mounting the trolling motor required some ideas that I came up with and “looked like” they would work.

I decided on an incremental build approach, never taking my boat out of service for more than a few days at a time during the fishing season (April through October).

Guiding principles of the build were that changes had to be affordable and doable largely by me. I was paying cash for stuff as I went along.

My fishing buddy helped with the welding for the trailer. Otherwise, I did what I could, when I could. It would be done in stages over the course of years, four years to this point, in fact.

This is the boat I dragged home in May 2020. It’s a 1979 Lund. When I bought it for $1200, it had a 1990 Johnson 30HP motor that I saw run before I bought it. It was pull start only. There was a MotorGuide 43# cable-controlled trolling motor. It also had a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI fish finder.

Boat.jpg

Obviously, the boat had some rough spots. I was confident in the structural integrity of the boat. Here’s a pic of the interior of the boat. The seats seemed in OK shape. Note the mounting clamps for the seats on the middle and rear bench. More about those later.

Original Boat deck.jpg

I really HATED the paint. I’m not normally motivated by cosmetic things, but the rough paint on the boat became a serious distraction every time I looked at it. So I stripped the paint:

boat pre-paint.jpg

I used Krylon Farm and Implement Paint with hardener. I rolled and brushed the previously-painted red portion of the hull. I decided to put off painting the lower half of the hull for later since I’d have to pull it off the trailer. Here it is after painting and the application of registration numbers and replica Lund decals obtained from online sources:

boat painted 2.jpg

I was also working on the motor at the same time I was working on the paint. The Johnson was extremely hard to start, and often, after starting and running for a few minutes, it would die and I couldn’t get it started again. I also started looking for a kit to convert it over to electric start; that was unsuccessful. I tried rebuilding the carb, the fuel seemed OK, and I fixed some leaky fuel lines. I was also beginning to doubt how many times I’d take the boat out and try to pull start it with my Medicare-eligible shoulders.

When frustrated with the engine, I would do something else, like repack the bearings:

bearings.jpg

All of this part-time work consumed months, and when all was said and done, I missed all of the fishing season with this boat. I’m sure my wife was thinking this boat was a disaster.

New for 2021

Early in 2021, I decided that I was going to give up on the Johnson and ordered a new Mercury 20HP Four Stroke. It arrived in late February. With the help of my Son-in-Law, I swapped out the Johnson for the new Merc. It was a thing of beauty.

Motor.jpg

I splashed the boat and new motor in late March 2021 and began the 10 hour break in process mandated by Mercury. There were no leaks and so I really became confident in the hull.

My first fishing outing with the boat came in April 2021. I mentioned the seat clamps earlier. One of those clamps “let go” when a fishing buddy put pressure on the seat back while he was pulling up the anchor. He almost went overboard. I decided then and there that the clamps had to go. I modified the seat bases and bolted them to the bench plywood with bolts and T-nuts. I reused the swivel portion of the clamp bases, and they’re affixed solidly to the benches. I also rebuilt the front seat because the plywood back had rotted.

I spent the rest of 2021 fishing the boat, learning how to launch and recover, figuring out what I wanted out of the boat, and deciding next steps.

New for 2022

The decks were beginning to become noticeably “wonky” with some soft spots developing. I have no idea how old that plywood was. I built drop-in decks that went between the fore, mid, and aft benches. The front casting deck seemed solid enough, so I left that alone.

I used 5/8 Exterior BCX for the decking material. The plywood is coated in fiberglass resin, with cheap outdoor carpeting glued and stapled to the upper surface. Support underneath comes from 2X6 lumber cut to appropriate depth. The lumber is regular framing lumber, coated in the same fiberglass resin as the plywood. It rides on the aluminum ribs that run the length of the boat and side to side. PVC rub shims are affixed to reduce long term wear of the lumber against the aluminum. The decks are affixed in place with the use of simple “L” brackets screwed into the deck and adjoining bulkheads.

Boat underdeck.jpg
Boat deck.jpg

My next big purchase was an upgraded trolling motor. I chose a Minn Kota Powerdrive with 55# thrust. That’s a lot for this boat. The old TM mounting spot would not adequately accommodate the new TM. So I rebuilt the platform and painted it red to match the boat. The new platform is stiffened underneath by a piece of angle iron that run laterally. I also built a mounting plate from 3/4 BCX ply, and affixed it to the platform with bolts and T-nuts. That mounting plate allow the base of the TM to be mounted so that sufficient clearance exists to deploy the motor.

Trolling Motor Mount.jpg

After a couple of outings, I decided that I’d really like to add spot lock to the setup, so I added a ProNav unit to the Powerdrive. This addition came mid-summer 2022. I really like being able to anchor anywhere on the lake. I also like having all the different ways to control the TM: Smartphone, ProNav Remote Controller, Original Foot pedal controller. That way, either fisherman can fully control the TM from either end of the boat.

New for 2023

I began 2023 by rebuilding the front casting deck. It was a relatively simple task and I reused the solid support structure that was under the original casting deck. I cleaned up the access hatch and added a closed storage area under the platform supporting the TM. It is simply a piece of plywood painted to match, hinged to the deck and secured closed by a small bungee. That area hides all the wires as well as providing a place for the foot pedal to reside when not in use.

Boat front storage closed.png

The big upgrade for 2023 was the purchase of a Helix 7 G3N with Mega SideScan. I found it on sale after the new G4Ns arrived. I placed it on a Ram Mount midships so that it can be turned for me to see it either from the helm or on the casting deck. I repurposed the old Lowrance Elite 4 DSI by converting it into a portable unit that I can take with on trips where I’m not taking my boat.

Boat Helix 7.png

With the new TM, I decided to upgrade the battery and bought a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery off Amazon. Since I already had the boat apart, I decided to relocate the both the cranking and TM batteries into the center bench for better weight distribution and to free up open deck space. I added a NOCO 5X2 power bank and relocated the fuse panel and thermal overload protection to the aft side of the middle bulkhead so that it is now directly in front me while I’m at the helm.

Boat battery compartment.jpg

The batteries are in separate plastic trays on top of a plywood support deck that is affixed to the bulkheads. Cables and wiring for the accessories run under the benches and the decks to the needed positions.

One of my pet peeves are large tackle boxes that always seem to be in the way. So, while I had the boat apart for the front deck and the battery box work, I put tackle storage in the aft bench and the two side benches on either side behind the aft bench. I reused/repurposed a couple of Plano tray holders that I had in my shop for hardware storage. I had outgrown those and they were essentially unused. In a stroke of luck, they fit the interior spaces of the benches quite well, with only minor modifications. The compartmented boxes themselves are standard Plano 3700 boxes available anywhere. I can store 6 of them on the boat and they’re ready to go anytime I want to go fishing.

Boat tackle storage.png

I also added a storage bin to the side bench behind the helm. This is where I keep standard safety gear and other items like a drift sock and marker buoy, zip ties, some tools, etc.

Boat misc storage.png

A note about access hatches: I thought about buying pre-fab hatches, but that idea was quickly shot down due to cost. I could easily have spent several hundred dollars on hatches, and they still would not have been the perfect fit for what I wanted to do. For the sake of cost and ease, I simply modified the plywood benches with hardware store piano hinges and barrel latches. I simply don’t need the rain protection that some do since I’m quite picky about the weather for the days I go out. I realize not everybody will be so cavalier about the way it looks and performs, but I’m satisfied with it, and it met my cost “stinginess.” Money saved on stuff like hatches goes a long way to enabling the purchase of other things like electronics.

I fished the boat for the 2023 season with these modifications and have to say that I’m very pleased with the way the boat has evolved. The boat now remains “stocked” with required safety gear and fishing tackle and is ready to “hitch and go” whenever I want to go.

New for 2024

This year so far has been spent mostly on modifying the trailer, which had a number of shortcomings. First of all, it was too short for the boat and the weight distribution was a mess, so it did not pull well. I posted about the trailer in December in the trailer section of the forum.

First, I pulled the boat. Since it was going to be off the trailer a good portion of the winter, I flipped and cleaned the bottom. Then I painted with Rustoleum Farm and Implement paint, rolled and brushed.

Lifting the hull.png

Bottom paint.png

I added a 48” section of square tube to the tongue. This shifted the axle back about 22 inches. The added length helped with weight distribution and launching/recovery.

Welding in progress.png

Extension weld.jpg

I also put new bunks and supports on the trailer and added another keel roller under the bow of the boat. I also reconfigured the winch post and upgraded the winch from an undersized 600lb unit to a 1500 pound winch.

Bunks in progress.png

I re-rigged the boat the other day. It still needs a good dusting and the trailer bearings need their annual re-pack. I also need to replace some flotation foam. But otherwise, it’s ready for the 2024 season.

Boat rigged for 2024.jpg

I think I’m about done with major actions on this boat. I’m pleased with the way it has been improved, and I’m satisfied with the boat’s performance. A couple of things I’d like to have would be a rod locker and live well, but the boat’s size precludes those things (for me anyway). That said, I'm sure the evolution will continue.

Love it! I bought my first boat last year (2005 Lund WC14DLX) and the projects have been piling up. I didn't do much with it last year because I wanted to fish with it and then see what needed changing. You did a hell of a job on this boat, it looks great!

New for 2023

I began 2023 by rebuilding the front casting deck. It was a relatively simple task and I reused the solid support structure that was under the original casting deck. I cleaned up the access hatch and added a closed storage area under the platform supporting the TM. It is simply a piece of plywood painted to match, hinged to the deck and secured closed by a small bungee. That area hides all the wires as well as providing a place for the foot pedal to reside when not in use.

View attachment 119395

The big upgrade for 2023 was the purchase of a Helix 7 G3N with Mega SideScan. I found it on sale after the new G4Ns arrived. I placed it on a Ram Mount midships so that it can be turned for me to see it either from the helm or on the casting deck. I repurposed the old Lowrance Elite 4 DSI by converting it into a portable unit that I can take with on trips where I’m not taking my boat.

View attachment 119396

With the new TM, I decided to upgrade the battery and bought a 100Ah LiFePO4 battery off Amazon. Since I already had the boat apart, I decided to relocate the both the cranking and TM batteries into the center bench for better weight distribution and to free up open deck space. I added a NOCO 5X2 power bank and relocated the fuse panel and thermal overload protection to the aft side of the middle bulkhead so that it is now directly in front me while I’m at the helm.

View attachment 119397

The batteries are in separate plastic trays on top of a plywood support deck that is affixed to the bulkheads. Cables and wiring for the accessories run under the benches and the decks to the needed positions.

One of my pet peeves are large tackle boxes that always seem to be in the way. So, while I had the boat apart for the front deck and the battery box work, I put tackle storage in the aft bench and the two side benches on either side behind the aft bench. I reused/repurposed a couple of Plano tray holders that I had in my shop for hardware storage. I had outgrown those and they were essentially unused. In a stroke of luck, they fit the interior spaces of the benches quite well, with only minor modifications. The compartmented boxes themselves are standard Plano 3700 boxes available anywhere. I can store 6 of them on the boat and they’re ready to go anytime I want to go fishing.

View attachment 119398

I also added a storage bin to the side bench behind the helm. This is where I keep standard safety gear and other items like a drift sock and marker buoy, zip ties, some tools, etc.

View attachment 119399

A note about access hatches: I thought about buying pre-fab hatches, but that idea was quickly shot down due to cost. I could easily have spent several hundred dollars on hatches, and they still would not have been the perfect fit for what I wanted to do. For the sake of cost and ease, I simply modified the plywood benches with hardware store piano hinges and barrel latches. I simply don’t need the rain protection that some do since I’m quite picky about the weather for the days I go out. I realize not everybody will be so cavalier about the way it looks and performs, but I’m satisfied with it, and it met my cost “stinginess.” Money saved on stuff like hatches goes a long way to enabling the purchase of other things like electronics.

I fished the boat for the 2023 season with these modifications and have to say that I’m very pleased with the way the boat has evolved. The boat now remains “stocked” with required safety gear and fishing tackle and is ready to “hitch and go” whenever I want to go.

Nice build. I have a very similar boat. Mine is a 1969 Lund 14ft that I am in the process of remodeling. I see that you used the inside of the bench seats for batteries and types of storage. Did your boat have any foam under the bench’s and/or did you add any foam?

Thanks

Nice build. I have a very similar boat. Mine is a 1969 Lund 14ft that I am in the process of remodeling. I see that you used the inside of the bench seats for batteries and types of storage. Did your boat have any foam under the bench’s and/or did you add any foam?

Thanks
I removed the old foam. The remaining voids under the wood tops of the benches were filled with Extruded Polystyrene Foam Insulation Board, cut to fit. I am also adding more of it to the underside of the new decks, as well as the area underneath the casting deck. I have one full sheet already in the boat, and plan to put at least one more in. Each of those sheets provides about 270 pounds of buoyancy.

The Extruded Polystyrene is very cost effective and available at any home center.

Excellent. My build is very similar to yours. I did not put any storage compartments past the front most bench seat, so the whole front between all of the framing will have as much Extruded Polystyrene as I can fit. Also under the old front bench seat where there is any extra room around the batteries. And I will put some under the flat flooring between the front and rear bench seat, and on the outer edges of the rear bench seat because I will keep the center of the rear bench seat for storage. I did remove the entire center bench seat to have a flat flooring area. And I’m going to have two side compartments running from the front bench to the rear bench. It’s been a lot of work so far, but it’ll all be worth it when I’m out on the lake and I’m not tripping over gear. lol. I just got done painting the upper half of the boat and added new Lund decals. I’ll try and post some pictures for you to see and if you have any thoughts or ideas that could help me that you might have done differently with your boat I’d appreciate any input. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_8463.png
    IMG_8463.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8462.png
    IMG_8462.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8461.png
    IMG_8461.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8460.png
    IMG_8460.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8464.jpeg
    IMG_8464.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 2
Man o Man. Pretty much everything I have had in my head to do to my boat you put into a nice, concise thread! What a weight off my mind!! lol

DSC05833.JPG

Only difference is, I did it in reverse. I restored the trailer (and added a 4' piece of square tubing just like you did) and now will be moving on to the boat.

123_11.jpgDSC05759.JPG

Great job!!

Btw, is your Lund an S14? Mine is a C14 and the biggest motor I can put on it is a 15 🥺

Man o Man. Pretty much everything I have had in my head to do to my boat you put into a nice, concise thread! What a weight off my mind!! lol

View attachment 119616

Only difference is, I did it in reverse. I restored the trailer (and added a 4' piece of square tubing just like you did) and now will be moving on to the boat.

View attachment 119617View attachment 119618

Great job!!

Btw, is your Lund an S14? Mine is a C14 and the biggest motor I can put on it is a 15 🥺
I was trying to figure out how to lengthen my trailer when I saw your thread. I think you had already done yours when I did mine, so you were at least ahead of me. It was your thread that was key to finally getting the plan for mine and moving ahead.

Yes, mine is an S14. 35HP max.

I was trying to figure out how to lengthen my trailer when I saw your thread. I think you had already done yours when I did mine, so you were at least ahead of me. It was your thread that was key to finally getting the plan for mine and moving ahead.

Yes, mine is an S14. 35HP max.
Glad I could help!

Just a heads up. That wood gets really heavy quick and weighs down the boat. Unless you have a 25hp motor it will become a barge and plow through the water. Especially if you have more than one person or an ice chest and gear.
Ask me how I know. I had to go from a 15hp to a 25hp in my boat.

Just a heads up. That wood gets really heavy quick and weighs down the boat. Unless you have a 25hp motor it will become a barge and plow through the water. Especially if you have more than one person or an ice chest and gear.
Ask me how I know. I had to go from a 15hp to a 25hp in my boat.

My experience with my 20HP Merc is that at gross weight with two fisherman, gear, and fuel, I can do right at 20 mph and it planes OK. Since most of the lakes and areas that I fish are no-wake restricted, the outboard I have does just fine.

Latest posts